Senior 3D Character Artist
About the role
Who we are
A Thinking Ape builds communities through mobile games with emergent social play and original IP. We released our first game in 2009 and have been profitable and growing every year since. We are a bottom-up driven company with small teams that have a big focus on ownership and data driven decision making. Our portfolio of games are growing. We are scaling our marketing team and entering new markets to capitalize on this growth and bring our games to more players.
As a Senior 3D Character Artist you will touch all aspects of the character creation pipeline working closely with the Art Director and other artists to bring our characters to life for our players to enjoy. This is an opportunity to join the team at a point where we are refining our style and process and continuing to push the bar on the quality of our characters.
You will join our newest game team as they work towards launching one of our most ambitious games to date. You will be responsible for the creation of visual targets and quality bar of stylized human characters which are central to the game. These characters will be used throughout the game itself and in various promotional and marketing creative.
Things you will work on
- Collaborate with Art Lead to create appealing, game ready characters
- Help define and push the overall visual quality of characters
- Create core characters from existing concept through complete 3D pipeline to final implementation
- Generate high poly sculpts, gameplay models and marketing versions of various characters
- Provide feedback for external character creation when necessary
- Work closely with UI/UX designers, Animators and Engineers to determine requirements and constraints for characters
- Solve interesting challenges for character features, pipelines and processes
Who you are
The primary qualifications we’re looking for are
- You have a strong sense of what makes characters appealing and are able to translate 2D concepts into 3D while retaining their personality
- Passion for creating stylized human character
- Experience with character pipelines and implementation (ex. Unity)
- Experience with entire character creation process including modelling, UV/Texturing/Baking, rigging, skinning and rendering
- Extensive knowledge in current 3D pipeline software (Maya, Zbrush, Substance, etc)
Other qualifications that help are:
- Experience working in animation
- Experience with 2D concepting and/or storyboarding
- Previous experience launching a game in a senior role
- Experience in live game development (preferably mobile)
- Experience with more complex character systems such as character customization
- Any other technical or 3D skills are a bonus!
While everyone on our team is different, to thrive here you should...
- Be self motivated, take pride in your work and enjoy huge amounts of ownership
- Set aside your ego and have wonderful arguments with your coworkers in order to create something better than any one person could individually
- Challenge your own assumptions and use data to make decisions whenever possible
- Be passionate about teaching others what you know and continuing your own growth every day
- Not be afraid to fail–you experiment and learn from your mistakes
We have committed to a remote first approach for 2021 with access to in-person collaboration spaces in Vancouver when safe to do so. Our intention is to use 2021 as the foundational year to develop our remote excellence and help shape the future of ATA. This means our roles are currently open to candidates who can work in Canada between the core hours of 11am - 4pm PST. We are open to help relocate the successful candidate to Canada.
What’s in it for you
At ATA you’re offered a flexible, safe, inclusive environment in which you have the autonomy to do your best work, surrounded by a strong team and with the encouragement of supportive leadership that doesn’t just care what you’re doing, but how you’re doing. You’re trusted, respected, listened to, cared for and valued. You take on thought-provoking projects and tackle fun problems alongside people who are equally invested in making meaningful contributions and seeing new ideas come to life. You know how your work aligns with the company’s goals. Your career is given the space and resources to progress. You accomplish things that make you proud. You are compensated competitively, your health and wellbeing are top priorities and you enjoy plenty of perks. You build communities, take ownership, have wonderful arguments, let the best ideas win and keep growing. You don’t just work for ATA, you are an integral part of ATA.
Our commitment to inclusion
At ATA we build communities. But community extends beyond our players: it also encompasses our employees and candidates. We support diversity in the workplace and always strive for inclusion. Part of this is selfish; we believe we’ll make better decisions if we’re able to tap into a variety of different perspectives. But we also care that our employees and candidates feel valued and comfortable being themselves. Please consider applying even if you don't meet every qualification. Experience comes in many forms and we value adding diverse perspectives to our teams.
Discover even more
Check out our story to find out how we got to where we are today, and learn about our culture by following @athinkingape on social. You can also listen to Kenshi Arasaki, ATA CEO & Co-Founder, talk about what it’s like to work here.
Why you should join A Thinking Ape
Mission: We build communities.
Surrounded by mountains and water in beautiful Vancouver, BC, we are smart people who like smart people. We create mobile games with a social core that engage players and provoke us with creative new problems.
When we set out to make great games with massive online communities, we knew that we first had to create the ideal environment for building ambitious things. A place where brilliant and inspiring people could come together and build games that make millions of players happy. We realized that we needed to find incredibly talented people and get out of their way. Since then we've paid careful attention to how we like to work together. This is a brief summary of our guiding principles:
OWNERSHIP: We take complete ownership of our work and act in the best interests of the company. We’re the type of people who care - a lot. It’s never “not my job.”
HAVE WONDERFUL ARGUMENTS: We’re comfortable thinking deeply about important issues, and care enough to respectfully challenge decisions when we disagree. Mutual respect and checked egos allow for productive debate and better outcomes than any we would have achieved individually.
*THE BEST IDEAS WIN: *We want everyone involved in problem-solving, regardless of their position. We frequently seek feedback from each other and our players in order to challenge our assumptions, and make data-driven decisions when possible.
KEEP GROWING: We’re always building and improving on our skills and processes. We understand that when we learn, we see exponential improvement in ourselves, our products and our company. We’re never finished learning.
Together our values and mission are the driving force for why ATA exists and how we operate as a team. These cultural foundations are embedded in everything we do, especially in how we hire. We aim to hire people who share our values, believe in building communities and can add to our culture.