User Acquisition Team Lead
About the role
Who we are
A Thinking Ape builds communities through mobile games with emergent social play and original IP. We released our first game in 2009 and have been highly profitable and growing every year since. We are a bottom-up company with small teams that focus on ownership and data driven decision making. Our portfolio of games is growing and we are scaling our growth team to bring our games to even more players.
We are looking for a User Acquisition Team Lead to help us grow our existing franchises and upcoming new games into the top grossing charts. We have doubled our revenue over the last three years and need your expertise to get us to the next level of growth.
You will lead a team of four to scale our two highly popular free-to-play original IP games, Kingdoms of Heckfire and Party in my Dorm and new games in development. These games have passionate communities and appeal to vastly different audiences. You will be responsible for all aspects of user acquisition for our portfolio of games and will lead your team to develop and drive sustainable growth strategies to acquire users profitably world-wide.
Our growth team consists of artists and analysts who strategize and execute on new ways to grow our games across multiple channels. You will work very closely with the Marketing Art Lead to foster a productive and collaborative team culture and ensure your teams are working cohesively. As a performance marketing team we execute on a high volume of creatively diverse content, and continue to experiment with different marketing strategies. The team is very data focused and have built a suite of marketing tools based on our internal data pipeline and BI system and have the full support of an internal Data Science team.
Things you will work on
- Lead a team of performance marketers and analysts, and mentor direct reports
- Develop and drive overall marketing strategies across all platforms, countries and networks
- Develop and improve the overall marketing team process for campaign management and creative operatization
- Drive continuous marketing experimentation in different creative and targeting strategies, and improve the test framework to run these experiments more effectively and efficiently
- Guide development of performance marketing tools with support of internal data and engineering teams
- Work closely with the product and creative team to share marketing insights and align marketing operations with business objectives
- Conduct marketing research and competitor analysis
Who you are
You are someone with an analytical mindset that loves digging deep into data. You are equally excited about sharing your knowledge, developing your people and building a high performing team. You are driven by curiosity and results which enables you to continually motivate your team and explore new opportunities for growth.
The primary qualifications we’re looking for are
- Experience managing a user acquisition team
- You have deep knowledge of the mobile advertising space
- You have 5+ years performance marketing experience in gaming, and have managed over $10M annual marketing budget
- You have an analytical mindset and have an in-depth understanding of different product and marketing KPIs
- You have strong ability to work effectively with cross-functional teams
- You have excellent organizational, communication and interpersonal skills
- You are a passionate gamer
We have committed to a remote first approach for 2021 with access to in-person collaboration spaces in Vancouver when safe to do so. Our intention is to use 2021 as the foundational year to develop our remote excellence and help shape the future of ATA. This means our roles are currently open to candidates who can work in Canada between the core hours of 11am - 4pm PST. We are open to help relocate the successful candidate to Canada.
While everyone on our team is different, to thrive here you should...
- Be self motivated, take pride in your work and enjoy huge amounts of ownership
- Set aside your ego and have wonderful arguments with your coworkers in order to create something better than any one person could individually
- Challenge your own assumptions and use data to make decisions whenever possible
- Be passionate about teaching others what you know and continuing your own growth every day
- Not be afraid to fail–you experiment and learn from your mistakes
What’s in it for you
At ATA you’re offered a flexible, safe, inclusive environment in which you have the autonomy to do your best work, surrounded by a strong team and with the encouragement of supportive leadership that doesn’t just care what you’re doing, but how you’re doing. You’re trusted, respected, listened to, cared for and valued. You take on thought-provoking projects and tackle fun problems alongside people who are equally invested in making meaningful contributions and seeing new ideas come to life. You know how your work aligns with the company’s goals. Your career is given the space and resources to progress. You accomplish things that make you proud. You are compensated competitively, your health and wellbeing are top priorities and you enjoy plenty of perks. You build communities, take ownership, have wonderful arguments, let the best ideas win and keep growing. You don’t just work for ATA, you are an integral part of ATA.
Our commitment to inclusion
At ATA we build communities. But community extends beyond our players: it also encompasses our employees and candidates. We support diversity in the workplace and always strive for inclusion. Part of this is selfish; we believe we’ll make better decisions if we’re able to tap into a variety of different perspectives. But we also care that our employees and candidates feel valued and comfortable being themselves. Please consider applying even if you don't meet every qualification. Experience comes in many forms and we value adding diverse perspectives to our teams.
Discover even more
Check out our story to find out how we got to where we are today, and learn about our culture by following @athinkingape on social. You can also listen to Kenshi Arasaki, ATA CEO & Co-Founder, talk about what it’s like to work here.
Why you should join A Thinking Ape
Mission: We build communities.
Surrounded by mountains and water in beautiful Vancouver, BC, we are smart people who like smart people. We create mobile games with a social core that engage players and provoke us with creative new problems.
When we set out to make great games with massive online communities, we knew that we first had to create the ideal environment for building ambitious things. A place where brilliant and inspiring people could come together and build games that make millions of players happy. We realized that we needed to find incredibly talented people and get out of their way. Since then we've paid careful attention to how we like to work together. This is a brief summary of our guiding principles:
OWNERSHIP: We take complete ownership of our work and act in the best interests of the company. We’re the type of people who care - a lot. It’s never “not my job.”
HAVE WONDERFUL ARGUMENTS: We’re comfortable thinking deeply about important issues, and care enough to respectfully challenge decisions when we disagree. Mutual respect and checked egos allow for productive debate and better outcomes than any we would have achieved individually.
*THE BEST IDEAS WIN: *We want everyone involved in problem-solving, regardless of their position. We frequently seek feedback from each other and our players in order to challenge our assumptions, and make data-driven decisions when possible.
KEEP GROWING: We’re always building and improving on our skills and processes. We understand that when we learn, we see exponential improvement in ourselves, our products and our company. We’re never finished learning.
Together our values and mission are the driving force for why ATA exists and how we operate as a team. These cultural foundations are embedded in everything we do, especially in how we hire. We aim to hire people who share our values, believe in building communities and can add to our culture.