Head of People (Remote) at Afriex
About the role
At Afriex, our mission is to remove the friction of sending money across borders and to level the economic playing field on a global scale. To achieve this we are building a global payment network: a scalable and usable infrastructure that integrates existing fiat and crypto payment networks, including but not limited to banks, card processors, crypto exchanges, and public blockchains. We believe that cryptocurrency will set a new standard for secure online payments, giving individuals and merchants a seamless way to transact with anybody in the world..
Why work at Afriex?
- Values: We are building technology that makes a positive social impact on people around the world. We have created an inclusive and supportive work environment, where we all have the resources to learn, grow, and work collaboratively to improve the state of the world today.
- Career Growth: We believe in investing in your growth. Especially as you begin, you will be collaborating closely with several members of our team and investor network. We’ll work together to help you gain the knowledge and resources you need to take the next step in your career.
- Innovation: You’ll have an opportunity to contribute significantly to the global tech and blockchain ecosystems, from which we both substantially benefit and to which we give back.
- Flexibility: We are a small, fully remote, focused team, offering maximum flexibility and minimum bureaucracy. If you’re able to attend meetings from 11 am to 3 pm Eastern / 9 am to 12 pm Pacific, collaborate effectively, and do your work; when and where you work are up to you. We encourage you to value your life’s balance.
- Benefits: We offer a competitive full-time salary (we can also pay in crypto), substantial equity in the company, a funded bring-your-own-device (BYOD) policy, and unlimited time off.
- Impact: You will be working to solve meaningful, never-before-solved challenges with a world-class team of engineers in the fields of fintech and blockchain technology with lots of room for creativity and invention… and we’re excited to learn from the unique insights that you will bring.
You might be a great fit for the role of People Manager if…
You have experience building or managing teams to tackle technical challenges
In this role you will recruit, hire, develop and scale an amazing team of engineers and be actively involved in strategic direction and production decisions for an emerging company. In short, you must be able to demonstrate great leadership and organizational skills.
You hold yourself and others to a high bar
You will build, challenge and motivate a team of Recruiters and People Operations Consultants to deliver a complete human resources capability that can scale as the company grows.
You thrive in a collaborative environment involving different stakeholders and subject matter experts
Scaling a fast-growing technology company is difficult interdisciplinary work. We’re seeking someone who’s up to the challenge. You should not be afraid to ask a lot of questions: you should know how to notice when you’re confused and say so when you are. At the same time, you should have the drive and the organizational skills to take charge of your learning. We’ll work together to strike a healthy balance between collaboration and independence.
You have strong skills for asynchronous communication and remote work
Work at Afriex has always been asynchronous and fully remote, and will continue to be so after the COVID-19 pandemic’s travel restrictions are over. We’re looking for an empathetic person who doesn’t mind collaborating asynchronously, with the excellent verbal and written communication skills necessary to thrive in that environment. After it is safe to travel, we plan to bring the team together in person approximately once per quarter (but we won’t be doing that until it is safe).
Different professional or academic backgrounds are welcomed
Please consider applying even if you don’t have:
- a college degree in computer science or engineering,
- X years of professional experience in Blockchain technology
- Experience with cryptocurrencies, distributed systems, fintech, or any of the other specific domain details of our work: none of us came in knowing everything, either.
You should have:
- Strong experience building and scaling teams within technology companies.
How to apply and what to expect
Apply by submitting:
- your name,
- your resume or CV (no page limit),
- a brief cover letter describing your interest in the role, and
Initial interview: We’ll chat with you about your background, prior experience, motivation for working at Afriex, and other introductory things. This call is about getting to know you on your terms. After the call, we’ll send you a short take-home technical quiz, this assessment is multiple choice and should only take 30 minutes. It is meant to measure general programming ability. It uses a large library of questions covering programming logic, system design, CS fundamentals, and front-end engineering.
Technical interview: In this interview, You’ll meet with an Afriex team member to answer questions about your work experience and discuss various case-studies. We don’t expect you to know the answer to every question we might ask—an impressive technical interview might just as much mean that you asked insightful questions as that you had insightful answers.
Final team interview: After the technical interview, we’ll let you know whether we’re interested in moving forward to a final interview where you’ll get an opportunity to talk to the entire team at Afriex. We’ll ask you more questions about your leadership and organizational experience and you’ll be able to ask any questions you still have about our culture, our plans, our upcoming technical challenges, and whatever else comes to your mind.
Offer: After the final interview, we’ll let you know whether we’re interested in extending an offer. If we extend an offer, our team members will continue to be available for you to ask anyone any questions that might have come up for you since the last interview.
All of our interviews will be conducted over video chat.
We want you to be comfortably able to show yourself off in the best possible light. If there are any accommodations we can make during the interview process to make things easier for you, please let us know.
We look forward to meeting you!
Afriex is an equal opportunity employer and we value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.
Why you should join Afriex
Afriex app makes it super easy for immigrants to send money home. We do this by leveraging blockchain technology to make transfers faster and cheaper than banks or other transfer services