Fintech Platform Ops Engineer at Alpaca
About the role
Alpaca is a fast-growing fintech API startup backed by a group of prominent investors including Spark, Portage, Social Leverage, Tribe, Horizons, Eldridge, Positive Sum, Elefund, and Y Combinator, and highly experienced industry angel investors. Alpaca has raised a total of $72 million to date.
Alpaca builds a developer API that allows apps and developers globally to launch commission-free stock trading apps. Our platform also offers a developer-friendly community and platform for traders to programmatically trade stocks with ease. Of course, we are very enthusiastic about open source contribution and community building!
About the Role
Reporting into the VP of Engineering, you will be responsible for daily administration of internal systems and technical requests from our brokerage team.
What You'll Do
- Be responsible to keep the platform up and running
- Monitor and maintain our logging, backups, and disaster recovery processes.
- Perform adhoc database updates.
- Create shell scripts or develop small tools for automation of common tasks
- Work alongside our engineering in ensuring the health of our platform
- Create backups of databases and file assets
- You have 3+ years of experience in DevOps, sysadmin, or database administration
- You have significant experience with Postgres, including replication and recovery
- You have experience with Kubernetes
- You have a deep understanding of modern containerization systems (we use Docker)
- You are familiar with modern distributed logging, monitoring, and metrics systems
- You are familiar with Git for distributed source code version control
- You have significant experience with POSIX Operating Systems (Linux/BSD, etc)
- You have excellent communication skills and value good documentation and writing
- You are familiar with shell scripting
- You are comfortable in at least one programming language
- You have worked with either GCP or AWS
- You have experience with Elasticsearch and Kibana
- You have experience with Prometheus (including Prometheus Alerts) and Grafana
- You have experience with RabbitMQ or Kafka
- You are familiar with distributed tracing
- Experience with Golang
- Strong Postgres scaling and performance tuning experience (including overseeing the management of both self managed instances and cloud managed instances)
- You are familiar with information security best practices
Our Tech & Infrastructure Stack:
- Microservices running on Google Cloud Platform via Kubernetes
Must be eligible to work without sponsorship for this role.
Why you should join Alpaca
Alpaca is a hyper growth financial technology company that is democratizing global access to financial markets starting with our API-first stock brokerage. In just two years, billions of dollars of securities are traded every month via our API and rapidly increasing.
Alpaca’s globally distributed team consists of developers, traders, and brokerage business specialists and backed by a group of well-capitalized investors including Spark Capital, Portag3, Social Leverage, Y Combinator as well as highly experienced industry angel investors. We are also very tech-enthusiastic with notable track records in open source and startup communities.