Electrical Engineer at AON3D
About the role
At AON3D, we are working hard to make additive manufacturing with high-performance engineering plastics a more accessible technology for engineers in all industries.
As a Senior Electrical Engineer at AON3D, you'll be responsible for all aspects of the electrical design, including development, prototyping, validation, and production coordination as well as continued maintenance and evolution of the electronic and electrical systems used in 3D printer operation. We're looking for someone to work on all electrical aspects of our product - from embedded controller integration and low-level sensor components, to the wiring and power entry. Since we're a small team, the position offers plenty of opportunity to make significant changes that will help steer the product, and cause significant impact for our users. The ideal person for this role is a problem-solver with a thorough understanding of industrial hardware systems and someone who will take the lead on projects to drive innovation.
AON3D makes affordable industrial 3D printers designed for printing high performance thermoplastics, including PEEK, PEKK, ULTEM™ 9085, polycarbonate and more. The AON-M2, its flagship 3D printer, is a direct response to demands for hotter print conditions and the careful thermal control needed for producing strong and dimensionally stable parts from advanced materials. Most importantly, it offers an open filament platform that empowers users to choose the right materials for their project and slash costs by avoiding expensive proprietary materials and license fees.
AON3D is dedicated to ensuring designers and engineers have greater access to cutting edge materials and affordable 3D printers so they can drive tomorrow's innovation today.
- Design, plan, prototype, and coordinate production of the electronic and electrical systems (e.g., communications, power management, motion control, electromechanical).
- Prioritize, execute, and distribute tasks for the electrical development cycle.
- Maintain strong relationships with certification and approval agencies and manage the certification process as applicable to various products.
- Act as subject matter expert related to required codes and standards for the technology; understand requirements in various geographic locations and industries.
- Guide other engineering staff during integration and testing to realize high-quality finished products.
- Collaborate with other members of the design, sourcing, assembly and customer care teams to ensure system performance and reliability.
- Author concise, user-friendly documentation of electronic/electrical systems operation and diagnostic requirements as well as test/validation plans.
- Stay up-to-date with current developments in additive manufacturing technology and be aware of how the machines work on a deep level.
- Degree in electrical engineering.
- 7+ years of relevant industry experience (e.g., 3D printers, robotics, automation, machine tools) at medium to high volume production.
- Experience with product certification and compliance (e.g., CE, ETL, TUV, CSA, UL).
- Strong knowledge in analog/mixed signal circuit design with industrial applications.
- Ability to use common lab equipment and procedures to prototype, debug, and develop electronics.
- Ability to develop project objective specifications into top level hardware requirements.
- Experience in control systems, system design, signal and AC/DC power distribution in machine designs, and power electronics (e.g., stepper motors, heaters).
- Experience in schematics and layout for power, sensors, microcontrollers, and programmable logic controllers (PLCs).
- Excellent organizational and leadership skills.
- Excellent oral and written communication in English.
- Ability to find and prioritize tasks and work independently.
- 3D printing experience!
- PLM/document control systems experience.
- Experience working with contract manufacturers.
Why work at AON3D?
AON3D is, at its heart, an engineering company. To provide a missing pillar of the additive manufacturing world, we hire people with a broad set of technical skills (and from a wide variety of backgrounds) who are ready to take on some of the most challenging problems in the industry, from developing new processes for working with brand new high performance engineering polymers, to building new ways to enable machines to do precisely what is required for successful prints.
Why you should join AON3D
AON3D is a rapidly growing startup on a mission to put industrial 3D printing capabilities into the hands of those who need it most. Our technology has made it 10 times cheaper than before to 3D print with advanced thermoplastics, and we continue to push the boundaries on commercializing new materials for 3D printing.
Our customers span the globe and are pioneers in the application of 3D printing in their field – from automotive tooling to aircraft interiors, foundry molds to public art installations, prosthetics to guides for radiation and surgical oncology.
AON3D is a graduate of Y-Combinator and venture-backed by top investors from Silicon Valley.