Director of Hardware
About the role
At AON3D, we’re doing more than just creating powerful industrial 3D printers. Our hardworking, multidisciplinary team leverages their backgrounds and expertise every day to develop a groundbreaking, open materials platform for additive manufacturing that serves companies at all scales and across infinite industries. We continually adapt along our journey as we process new learnings from our customers, and we recently reached a significant fundraising milestone that will allow us to push the boundaries of our technology. We know that this is just the beginning, and we’re determined to remain resilient as we face the challenges and rewards of expanding our business.
The Director/VP of Hardware will be a key part of the technical leadership team and will need a combination of people management and demonstrated technical acumen in the area of hardware development. This position will be responsible for directing the work of the following groups: electrical, mechanical, and firmware engineering as well as working closely with our manufacturing team. This role will be responsible for providing strategic technical guidance and people development for a combined insourced and outsourced Engineering team.
- Lead the AON3D hardware development organization, including mechanical, mechatronic, electrical, and embedded systems
- Collaborate with executives in other functions to build efficient and effective cross functional processes that enable our organization to operate smoothly
- Act as a leading voice in driving technical execution strategy for hardware products
- Collaborate with Product team to execute hardware programs based on requirements, timelines, and budgets
- Generate technical requirements from customer-facing product requirements Work with HR and recruiting resources to define roles and select appropriate candidates
- Align team member roles with their competencies and experience
- Work with product managers to adapt to changing circumstances and priorities
- Build appropriate processes to manage all aspects of the design process from concept exploration to transfer to production
- Experience implementing quality management best practices within a growing organization
- Collaborate with external contractors and integrate their work into AON3D’s product development process
- Responsible for efficient and effective Product Life Cycle management process and tools
- Generate and maintain workspace and resource requirements and budgets
Qualifications / Requirements
- 7+ yrs experience with integrated SW + HW product design / development
- 3+ yrs in a leadership / senior management role
- Engineering degree in Electrical, Mechanical, Physics, or other related subject
- Demonstrated experience building teams and delivering products in high growth settings
- Proven ability to ship ambitious hardware products on an aggressive schedule
Nice to haves
- Experience with a robotics / CNC machine tools
- Experience with safety and/or electrical certification
- 3D printing experience
What to expect after you submit your application:
We do our best to review and action all applications within 5 business days of receipt. Although we’d love to be able to speak with everyone that applies, due to the volume of applicants we receive and time constraints, only those selected to move forward will receive a follow-up.
AON3D is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants are given consideration regardless of race, religion, colour, gender, sex, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, marital status, citizenship status, disability, veteran status, or any other protected class as provided in applicable employment laws. If you have a disability or special need that requires accommodation, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Why you should join AON3D
AON3D is a rapidly growing startup on a mission to put industrial 3D printing capabilities into the hands of those who need it most. Our technology has made it 10 times cheaper than before to 3D print with advanced thermoplastics, and we continue to push the boundaries on commercializing new materials for 3D printing.
Our customers span the globe and are pioneers in the application of 3D printing in their field – from automotive tooling to aircraft interiors, foundry molds to public art installations, prosthetics to guides for radiation and surgical oncology.
AON3D is a graduate of Y-Combinator and venture-backed by top investors from Silicon Valley.