Software Engineering Manager
About the role
Benepass is growing quickly and we’re looking for a stellar engineering manager to help us execute against our product and technical vision while still adapting quickly to a changing environment.
In this role, you’ll work with me (our CTO) as well as with our PM, to lead our backend and frontend engineering efforts. You’ll help decide what we should build and when, what the technical milestones should be, and how best to handle dependencies. In addition, you’ll be responsible for making sure we meet our goals around code quality, security, and development velocity. Most importantly, you’ll keep us on the right course over time, as timelines shift and new challenges arise.
While you’ll primarily be a manager in this role, you should expect to spend some of your time on “in the weeds” engineering work, so that you’re close to the ground truth of what we’re building.
THE IDEAL CANDIDATE WOULD
- Have a degree in Computer Science or equivalent experience
- Have 3+ years of experience as a software engineer, ideally at a fast growing startup
- Have 1+ years of experience as an engineering manager, ideally at a fast growing startup
- Have experience working with PMs/TPMs and translating product goals into engineering goals
- Have experience building and running a hiring pipeline for engineers
- Be ruthlessly pragmatic about what to build and (just as importantly) what not to build
- Know how to write clean, testable, and maintainable code and ensure that the team does the same
- Have a strong working knowledge of our stack, as well as all of the following:
- Security & Secure Coding Practices
- Software Architecture
- Have broad technical knowledge and learn new topics quickly
- Be comfortable diving into the weeds of our business to inform what we build
- Be highly organized
- Thrive in fast-paced environments with a high degree of autonomy
- Be fluent in English, both verbal and written.
Bonus points if you have experience w/ payments or fintech, security and compliance work, and/or writing software in a regulated industry.
That said, we’re ultimately looking for people who’ll be awesome to work with rather than strictly hewing to the above, so if you’re not an exact match but still think you might be good at the job, please do apply.
WHAT WE OFFER
- Competitive compensation + equity
- 95% coverage of medical, dental, and vision
- Fantastic benefits (of course 😃), including:
- $500 WFH setup
- $150/month cell phone + internet
- $100/month Wellness
- Flexible PTO
- Work from anywhere (during standard US business hours)
Why you should join Benepass
Benepass (YC W20) helps companies take care of their people; employees get a single card for all of their benefits, paired with a friendly and intuitive mobile app. Our product makes it easy for employees to save on essentials (like child- and healthcare) and to enjoy their company’s perks (think work from home setups, fitness memberships, and free lunch) especially in a remote-first world. We also automate away tons of manual work that companies usually have to do to manage benefits.
Our investors include Gradient Ventures, Y Combinator, and awesome angels like Aaron Levie of Box.
HUGE OPPORTUNITY + HARD PROBLEMS
Benepass is using modern software, automation, and a great UX to transform the $30+ billion benefits industry. We’re displacing incumbents running on manual processes and legacy technology, like fax, checks in the mail, and artisanal CSVs.
To do that at scale, we need to solve hard technical problems involving payments, security, integrations, NLP, nightmarishly complex and ever changing rules, automation, and a whole lot more. We also have to deliver an incredible user experience through our web and mobile apps.
We know we’re on to something here: In the past year, we’ve grown to cover thousands of lives and signed big customers who are household names. We've found product-market fit and we’re growing at breakneck speed.
In my opinion, one of the biggest reasons to work here is the team you’ll be joining. I love that I get to work with a team who are not only smart and super capable, but are also really friendly and genuinely care about each other.
Background-wise, we run the gamut, from Wall Street to Google & Facebook to barbershops and professional sports.
(Also, nerd sniping each other is the company sport. Frequent topics include robotics, AI, synthetic biology, dev tools, rockets, WSB, cryptography, and our pets.)