Software Engineer, Full Stack at Berbix
About the role
Berbix’s mission is to enable all individuals to prove who they are and control how their information gets shared. Founded by the former engineering and product leaders for Trust & Safety at Airbnb, we empower companies to confidently answer the question: “Are you who you say you are?"
This is a question many online platforms need to answer about their users. We solve that problem by offering best-in-class ID verification and proprietary fraud detection technology to our customers, which they can access through developer friendly SDKs. We serve customers in a broad variety of industries, recently raised our Series A led by Mayfield, and are actively growing our all-star team.
The Berbix product space is wide-ranging, with end user facing client code to collect ID information, backend systems to process that information, customer-facing dashboards to configure and consume the processed information, machine learning systems to intelligently reason about the information collected. It is a versatile stack with many different parts, and we’re looking for engineers who relish multi-faceted and cross-domain challenges.
As a software engineer, you’ll ship features that will be immediately used by our users. You’ll work directly with a close-knit team that values feedback, growth, and cross-functional cooperation. You will be exposed to a wide range of difficult technical problems, and while you’ll receive continuous guidance and assistance, you’ll also be expected to be able to autonomously research and make proposals for solving difficult technical problems.
Responsibilities and Duties
- Design solutions to customer-driven and end user-facing problems.
- Write high-quality code to optimize for extensibility and maintainability.
- Work with other engineers to write specifications to make technical solutions and steps concrete.
- Work across different components of a complex engineering system, from frontend to backend.
- Work cross-functionally with product, design, and support to understand requirements and ship thoughtful solutions.
- Engage in code reviews to ensure a high level of software excellence and transmission of knowledge across the team.
- Assist in hiring additional engineers to the team to support ongoing and continued growth at the company.
- 5+ years of software engineering experience with full stack web development.
- BS or higher, in Computer Science or related technical field involving coding (e.g., physics or mathematics), or equivalent technical experience from a coding bootcamp.
- Experience working at a small company with diverse responsibilities is a bonus, but not required.
- Interest and ability to learn additional frameworks and programming languages as needed.
- Experience working with some of the following: web application development, Unix/Linux environments, mobile application development, distributed and parallel systems, machine learning, networking, developing large software systems, and/or security software development.
Company Information & Benefits
We are a completely hybrid company, meaning we have a San Francisco Headquarters (re-opening in October 2021), support local employees to work remotely as desired, and accept fully remote hires within the continental United States! We are a company that values the well-being of our employees and we strive to cultivate a healthy and inclusive work culture. We offer a robust benefits package to our full-time employees, including:
-100% company paid premiums for medical, dental, & vision. 50% company paid premiums for dependents
-Flexible and generous PTO + 20 holidays
-401 (k) retirement plan + company match, AD&D + life insurance
-Company-sponsored FSA account for medical expenses
-Monthly wellness allowance to spend on your mind and body
-Professional Development allowance to learn new, and grow existing skills
-12 week, 100% paid parental leave for all new parents
-Stipend for new hires to set up their remote work space
-Monthly internet stipend to have the best work environment at home
-Regular social activities like Fun Fridays and Quarterly Offsites (in-person & virtual)
Berbix is an Equal Opportunity Employer. We aspire to promote a diverse and inclusive environment for all current and future employees.
Why you should join Berbix
Berbix is building identity verification and fraud deterrence as a service. Founded by the former engineering and product leaders for Trust & Safety at Airbnb, we empower companies to confidently answer the question: “Are you who you say you are?"
This is a question many online platforms need to answer. We've started answering this question by creating four lightweight hosted verifications:
- Verify an email address
- Verify a phone number
- Scan a photo ID
- Confirm a street address
We then have an add-on framework that integrates with multiple backend providers to further increase our confidence that users on the other side of the screen are who they say they are. We are targeting three primary use cases:
- Age Verification
Ordering alcohol, nicotine, and marijuana online is quickly becoming the norm. Platforms need a confident way to ensure these orders are being made by and delivered to consumers above a certain age. Many have regulatory requirements to collect an ID. We also help other age-restricted services like online gambling.
- Fraud Deterrence
Every online platform has a fraud problem. By offering platforms a range of user-facing verifications, we're adding additional tools to their proverbial toolbox to help fight fraud. For example, requiring phone verification of a bona fide mobile number (as opposed to a virtual number) for high-value or otherwise riskier transactions.
- KYC ("Know Your Customer")
Cryptocurrency and other FinTech startups have various compliance requirements for identifying account holders. We provide a secure and user-friendly way to collect photo IDs from their users.