Medical Illustrator/Project Manager at BioRender
About the role
Effective visuals and designs give scientists the tools to convey incredibly complex scientific concepts in an unambiguous, universally accessible way. At BioRender, our mission is to empower the world to learn and communicate science faster through visuals. We are passionate about democratizing science communication in order to accelerate scientific discovery.
We're looking for a self-starter with a strong illustration portfolio who is eager to learn and grow professionally. In addition to contributing to the visual science communication efforts of the Creative Team, you will also project manage several key initiatives across the company including product/app development, UX optimization, marketing campaigns, custom client work, and/or building out our library of user-generated content. You'll work alongside an award-winning medical illustration team (including alumni from Johns Hopkins, University of Toronto, National Geographic Magazine, and more).
Our ideal fit
- Detail-oriented, organized, and thoughtful illustrator with project management experience
- Thrives in a fast-paced environment and loves working on a vast array of projects that span cross-disciplinary teams
- Curious, loves asking questions, and thinks outside of the box
- Able to distill user experience data into a clear, organized product roadmap
- Enjoys producing clean, elegant illustrations
- Dedicated to building a product users love
- Wants to revolutionize how science is communicated around the world
- Propose and oversee the execution of novel product (app) features that improve the end users' experience
- Create and oversee and develop 2D vector-based medical and scientific illustrations in BioRender’s style
- Work closely with the product team to test, develop, and launch new features to scale BioRender’s library, including integrations and user-generated content
- Provide user-centric design solutions to known challenges, observing and facilitating product testing sessions
- Educate the BioRender team on user needs and requests, challenging assumptions and redefining problems to identify alternative solutions
- Work closely with the growth team to develop inbound marketing strategies and content, including how-to videos, design tutorials, and science communication resources
- Measure and communicate project status, changes, and risks throughout the product lifecycle
What you bring to the table
- Master’s degree or equivalent in Medical Illustration
- 1+ years of project management experience is a plus
- Completion of post-secondary life science degree (or related subject) preferred
- Strong eye for aesthetics/design and visual communication trends
- Portfolio with samples of clean, vector illustrations with modern color palette
- Strong experience using vector illustration tools (Adobe Illustrator)
- Experience in motion graphics and/or animation is a plus
- Strong communication skills
- Ability to manage competing deadlines and prioritize effectively
BioRender is a software tool that allows scientists to accelerate groundbreaking research across the life sciences by reducing the time it takes to visually communicate research from many hours to just minutes while drastically improving outputs. We aim to save scientists over 1 billion hours of wasted time per year so they can spend it performing life-changing medical research, teaching the scientists of tomorrow, and helping people understand the world around them.
An incredible group of investors back us, including Y Combinator, Refactor and some of the most successful life science entrepreneurs in the world. Our customers range from the world’s largest pharmaceutical and biotech companies to the most renowned universities and research institutions.
Our tight-knit group is bonded by its shared commitment to our core values of resourcefulness, curiosity, integrity, empathy and humility. By both individually and collectively embodying these values, we can create clean, powerful, elegant solutions that delight our customers.
We are committed to building a warm, inclusive, and diverse environment. We believe that people do their best work when they feel good, and every member of our team deserves to feel safe, empowered, and supported. To this end, we offer a comprehensive set of benefits, including:
Stock options in a hypergrowth startup - we're growing more than 100% year over year!
Health and dental benefits for you and your family from your first day, including an HSA and extended mental health benefits
Annual professional development budget and regular learning opportunities
3 Recharge Long Weekends per year, in addition to vacation days
Veterinary bill reimbursement program
Regular virtual team events to stay connected
Fast-paced, mission and values-driven environment with highly engaged coworkers
Ideally, you would work onsite at our office in Toronto; however, given the ongoing restrictions brought on by COVID-19, this is currently a remote position. We are open to considering continuing in a remote capacity once restrictions are lifted.
If your interest is piqued, please apply. We'd love to hear from you. Also, be sure to check out other listings on our Careers page.
BioRender is an equal opportunity employer and as such does not discriminate on the basis of race, colour, religion, sex, national origins, age, sexual orientation, disability or any other characteristic protected by applicable laws. Selection decisions are solely based on job-related factors.
Why you should join BioRender
The Adobe Creative Suite for Life Sciences