Software Engineer at BioRender
About the role
At BioRender, our mission is to empower the world to learn and communicate science faster through visuals. We are passionate about democratizing science communication in order to accelerate scientific discovery and understanding. We're looking for amazing people to help create the world’s go-to-place and platform where science is communicated. Come join us!
Our stack includes React.js, Node.js, and MongoDB, with a lot of frontend technical challenges. You’ll work very closely with illustrators, sales, and customer success to craft the optimal solutions. Bonus points if you’re a fan of drafting/visualization tools or have previous experience working on a similar product!
Our ideal fit
- Sets a high standard on code quality, tests and code review
- Excellent technical communication skills
- Ability to explain complex solutions clearly to others
- Growth mindset, excited to learn new libraries / technologies (but practical about adopting them for production)
- Creative problem solver
What you'll be doing
- Participate in design, coding, testing, debugging, configuration and documenting of software solutions
- Find creative solutions to technical challenges as they arise
- Proactively address product issues
- Learn new technologies and how to best apply them to BioRender’s environment
- Ensure code quality and work to minimize technical debt of solutions
- Conduct peer reviews and contribute to group code walkthroughs
- Consider trade-offs between different technologies in order to develop optimal solutions
What you bring to the table
- You have strong experience (3+ years full time) in software development
- You've previously worked on a large-scale React project or similar framework (Angular or Vue.js); or you're backend-leaning and highly proficient in Node.js/MongoDB
- Experience working on SaaS web products with tight product development cycles is a plus
- Background in computer graphics and experience with web-based graphics libraries, game development, or animation is a plus
- Legally authorized to work in Canada
BioRender is a software tool that allows scientists to accelerate groundbreaking research across the life sciences by reducing the time it takes to visually communicate research from many hours to just minutes while drastically improving outputs. We aim to save scientists over 1 billion hours of wasted time per year so they can spend it performing life-changing medical research, teaching the scientists of tomorrow, and helping people understand the world around them.
An incredible group of investors back us, including Y Combinator, Refactor and some of the most successful life science entrepreneurs in the world. Our customers range from the world’s largest pharmaceutical and biotech companies to the most renowned universities and research institutions.
Our tight-knit group is bonded by its shared commitment to our core values of resourcefulness, curiosity, integrity, empathy and humility. By both individually and collectively embodying these values, we can create clean, powerful, elegant solutions that delight our customers.
We are committed to building a warm, inclusive, and diverse environment. We believe that people do their best work when they feel good, and every member of our team deserves to feel safe, empowered, and supported. To this end, we offer a comprehensive set of benefits, including:
Stock options in a hypergrowth startup - we're growing more than 100% year over year!
Health and dental benefits for you and your family from your first day, including an HSA and extended mental health benefits
Annual professional development budget and regular learning opportunities
3 Recharge Long Weekends per year, in addition to vacation days
Veterinary bill reimbursement program
Regular virtual team events to stay connected
Fast-paced, mission and values-driven environment with highly engaged coworkers
Ideally, you would work onsite at our office in Toronto; however, given the ongoing restrictions brought on by COVID-19, this is currently a remote position. We are open to considering continuing in a remote capacity once restrictions are lifted.
If your interest is piqued, please apply. We'd love to hear from you. Also, be sure to check out other listings on our Careers page.
BioRender is an equal opportunity employer and as such does not discriminate on the basis of race, colour, religion, sex, national origins, age, sexual orientation, disability or any other characteristic protected by applicable laws. Selection decisions are solely based on job-related factors.
Why you should join BioRender
The Adobe Creative Suite for Life Sciences