Lead Engineer at BioRender
About the role
Effective visuals and designs give scientists the tools to convey incredibly complex scientific concepts in an unambiguous, universally accessible way. At BioRender, our mission is to empower the world to learn and communicate science faster through visuals. We are passionate about democratizing science communication in order to accelerate scientific discovery.
This is an exciting, hands-on position with a lot of autonomy and the opportunity to flourish in a leadership role. We are looking for someone who is a stellar software developer with a lot of web development experience, who wants to have a greater impact by leading a team.
Our ideal fit
- Motivated self-starter who is dedicated to building scalable software products that users love
- Has technical leadership experience, leading the projects and process of a high-performing team
- Is knowledgeable in our stack (React.js, Node.js, MongoDB, Typescript, AWS/Heroku) and has experience working on a large-scale React project
- Thrives in a fast-paced environment and loves working on a diverse array of projects that span cross-disciplinary teams
- Curious, enjoys asking questions, and thinks outside of the box
- High-reaching, results-focused, and metrics-driven
- Takes initiative and loves solving big problems
- Wants to revolutionize how science is communicated around the world
- Mentoring a team of 3-4 developers, helping them level-up their skills
- Assist in interviewing and hiring
- Scope and lead large technical projects that will directly impact hundreds of thousands of scientists around the world
- Lead implementation of projects, including architecture, testing, team coordination, code reviews, QA and maintenance
- While not your primary responsibility, you’d still participate in design, coding, testing, debugging, configuration and documenting of code
What you bring to the table
- Strong technical background in web development and frontend (4+ years)
- You've previously worked on a large-scale React project or similar framework (Angular or Vue.js)
- You've demonstrated ability to solve complex architectural problems, think about tradeoffs and systems design
- You have a strong track record of technical leadership and driving results from your team
- You have experience working on a team with a mature scrum/agile process
BioRender is a software tool that allows scientists to accelerate groundbreaking research across the life sciences by reducing the time it takes to visually communicate research from many hours to just minutes while drastically improving outputs. We aim to save scientists over 1 billion hours of wasted time per year so they can spend it performing life-changing medical research, teaching the scientists of tomorrow, and helping people understand the world around them.
An incredible group of investors back us, including Y Combinator, Refactor and some of the most successful life science entrepreneurs in the world. Our customers range from the world’s largest pharmaceutical and biotech companies to the most renowned universities and research institutions.
Our tight-knit group is bonded by its shared commitment to our core values of resourcefulness, curiosity, integrity, empathy and humility. By both individually and collectively embodying these values, we can create clean, powerful, elegant solutions that delight our customers.
We are committed to building a warm, inclusive, and diverse environment. We believe that people do their best work when they feel good, and every member of our team deserves to feel safe, empowered, and supported. To this end, we offer a comprehensive set of benefits, including:
Stock options in a hypergrowth startup - we're growing more than 100% year over year!
Health and dental benefits for you and your family from your first day, including an HSA and extended mental health benefits
Annual professional development budget and regular learning opportunities
3 Recharge Long Weekends per year, in addition to vacation days
Veterinary bill reimbursement program
Regular virtual team events to stay connected
Fast-paced, mission and values-driven environment with highly engaged coworkers
Ideally, you would work onsite at our office in Toronto; however, given the ongoing restrictions brought on by COVID-19, this is currently a remote position. We are open to considering continuing in a remote capacity once restrictions are lifted.
If your interest is piqued, please apply. We'd love to hear from you. Also, be sure to check out other listings on our Careers page.
BioRender is an equal opportunity employer and as such does not discriminate on the basis of race, colour, religion, sex, national origins, age, sexual orientation, disability or any other characteristic protected by applicable laws. Selection decisions are solely based on job-related factors.
Why you should join BioRender
The Adobe Creative Suite for Life Sciences