Data Engineer at BioRender
About the role
At BioRender, our mission is to empower the world to learn and communicate science faster through visuals. We are passionate about democratizing science communication in order to accelerate scientific discovery and understanding. We're looking for amazing people to help create the world’s go-to-place and platform where science is communicated. Come join us!
BioRender is hiring our first Data Engineer to join our Growth Engineering team to enable teams across the company to make data-driven decisions. You’ll work closely with our CTO to architect and build the foundation of our data warehouse, and to create reporting tools for internal teams.
Our ideal fit
- Has a strong sense of ownership, likes to work cross-functionally, and increase efficiency across teams
- Strong work ethic with a focus on delivering results
- Excellent communication skills - ability to explain complex solutions/problems clearly and succinctly to the team and to people outside the team
- Growth mindset, excited to learn new libraries / technologies (but practical about adopting them for production)
- Detail-oriented, process-oriented, data-focused, very good at picking up on data inconsistencies or details that others might miss
- Sets a high standard on code quality, tests, and code review
Within your first two weeks, you'll:
- Create a health audit of our existing data & reporting and identify opportunities for improvements.
- Put together a plan to increase data accuracy and make the right data accessible across the company.
- Learn everything you can about our users, the product, and internal processes.
- Meet with key team members to learn about their key frustrations when it comes to data.
- Document database schemas for our core data tables and a system diagram detailing integrations with all of our core services.
- Identify key areas of improvement and create a plan to improve data accuracy within the first two weeks.
- Review our core reporting dashboards - provide a review of the queries in place and outline any incorrect assumptions and its impacts.
Within your first three months, you'll:
- Execute on the plan to increase data accuracy and make the right data more accessible across the company.
- Restructure our database tables, building additional data services or additional integrations (e.g. stripe, hubspot, CSM tools) to ensure that we have right data that can be easily queried to answer the internal teams’ most important questions.
- Identify and analyze usage and persona patterns of most engaged users and propose changes (e.g. A/B tests to run based on core analysis or onboarding optimizations to activate users).
What you bring to the table
- 3 years of Data Engineering experience in a fast-paced environment working with large datasets and architecting how data is stored
- Demonstrated ability to solve complex architectural problems, think about tradeoffs, and systems design.
- Excellent technical communication skills (code documentation, architectural documents, and presentation).
- Proficient in database design and SQL
- You are legally authorized to work in Canada
BioRender is a software tool that allows scientists to accelerate groundbreaking research across the life sciences by reducing the time it takes to visually communicate research from many hours to just minutes while drastically improving outputs. We aim to save scientists over 1 billion hours of wasted time per year so they can spend it performing life-changing medical research, teaching the scientists of tomorrow, and helping people understand the world around them.
An incredible group of investors back us, including Y Combinator, Refactor and some of the most successful life science entrepreneurs in the world. Our customers range from the world’s largest pharmaceutical and biotech companies to the most renowned universities and research institutions.
Our tight-knit group is bonded by its shared commitment to our core values of resourcefulness, curiosity, integrity, empathy and humility. By both individually and collectively embodying these values, we can create clean, powerful, elegant solutions that delight our customers.
We are committed to building a warm, inclusive, and diverse environment. We believe that people do their best work when they feel good, and every member of our team deserves to feel safe, empowered, and supported. To this end, we offer a comprehensive set of benefits, including:
Stock options in a hypergrowth startup - we're growing more than 100% year over year!
Health and dental benefits for you and your family from your first day, including an HSA and extended mental health benefits
Annual professional development budget and regular learning opportunities
3 Recharge Long Weekends per year, in addition to vacation days
Veterinary bill reimbursement program
Regular virtual team events to stay connected
Fast-paced, mission and values-driven environment with highly engaged coworkers
Ideally, you would work onsite at our office in Toronto; however, given the ongoing restrictions brought on by COVID-19, this is currently a remote position. We are open to considering continuing in a remote capacity once restrictions are lifted.
If your interest is piqued, please apply. We'd love to hear from you. Also, be sure to check out other listings on our Careers page.
BioRender is an equal opportunity employer and as such does not discriminate on the basis of race, colour, religion, sex, national origins, age, sexual orientation, disability or any other characteristic protected by applicable laws. Selection decisions are solely based on job-related factors.
Why you should join BioRender
The Adobe Creative Suite for Life Sciences