Product Designer at BioRender
About the role
Effective visuals and designs give scientists the tools to convey incredibly complex scientific concepts in an unambiguous, universally accessible way. At BioRender, our mission is to empower the world to learn and communicate science faster through visuals. We are passionate about democratizing science communication in order to accelerate scientific discovery.
As the second Product Designer on the team, you will have the opportunity to collaborate closely with both the CEO and CTO (co-founders) on improving and building upon the current design process. Working within our Product team, you’ll create end-to-end design solutions that empower scientists (who are non-designers) to create beautiful scientific visuals and presentations with ease. You’ll be encouraged to take full ownership of the design process, including research, testing, cross-functional communication, copy writing and visual design.
Our ideal fit is a Product Designer who:
- Wants to revolutionize how science is communicated around the world
- Is on a relentless pursuit to understand users’ needs and build product users are excited to use
- Has a strong sense of ownership and will do whatever it takes to get to the optimal design solution, whether it means getting on a call and testing designs with a user, writing copy, or working closely with developers to add last minute design touches
- Likes to tackle ambiguous problems and shape them into clear product goals
- Thoughtful, thinks of all the important details and edge cases, digs in, asks questions
- Extremely organized, can juggle multiple projects at the same time, but can go deep
- Looks at problems from all angles - from business perspective, from the users perspective, from an engineering perspective
- Thrives in a fast-paced environment and loves working on a diverse array of projects that span cross-disciplinary teams
- Obsesses about continuous product improvement and loves using data and user feedback to drive design decisions
- Understands technical constraints and can get into implementation details with developers
What you bring to the table
- 3+ years of product design experience, ideally designing large portions of an interactive web-based SaaS product
- Successful track record of generating design ideas required to solve problems, and taking ownership of the design process, including research, testing, cross-functional communication, copywriting and visual design
- Experience in planning, designing, running and analysing User Research activities
- Educational background in life sciences is a plus
- Previous experience working on a SaaS platform is a plus
BioRender is a software tool that allows scientists to accelerate groundbreaking research across the life sciences by reducing the time it takes to visually communicate research from many hours to just minutes while drastically improving outputs. We aim to save scientists over 1 billion hours of wasted time per year so they can spend it performing life-changing medical research, teaching the scientists of tomorrow, and helping people understand the world around them.
An incredible group of investors back us, including Y Combinator, Refactor and some of the most successful life science entrepreneurs in the world. Our customers range from the world’s largest pharmaceutical and biotech companies to the most renowned universities and research institutions.
Our tight-knit group is bonded by its shared commitment to our core values of resourcefulness, curiosity, integrity, empathy and humility. By both individually and collectively embodying these values, we can create clean, powerful, elegant solutions that delight our customers.
We are committed to building a warm, inclusive, and diverse environment. We believe that people do their best work when they feel good, and every member of our team deserves to feel safe, empowered, and supported. To this end, we offer a comprehensive set of benefits, including:
Stock options in a hypergrowth startup - we're growing more than 100% year over year!
Health and dental benefits for you and your family from your first day, including an HSA and extended mental health benefits
Annual professional development budget and regular learning opportunities
3 Recharge Long Weekends per year, in addition to vacation days
Veterinary bill reimbursement program
Regular virtual team events to stay connected
Fast-paced, mission and values-driven environment with highly engaged coworkers
Ideally, you would work onsite at our office in Toronto; however, given the ongoing restrictions brought on by COVID-19, this is currently a remote position. We are open to considering continuing in a remote capacity once restrictions are lifted.
If your interest is piqued, please apply. We'd love to hear from you. Also, be sure to check out other listings on our Careers page.
BioRender is an equal opportunity employer and as such does not discriminate on the basis of race, colour, religion, sex, national origins, age, sexual orientation, disability or any other characteristic protected by applicable laws. Selection decisions are solely based on job-related factors.
Why you should join BioRender
The Adobe Creative Suite for Life Sciences