Mobile Engineer (Flutter, iOS, Android) at BlaBla Live
About the role
BlaBla is an online learning platform for fluent English speakers to teach English to language learners in Asia and the World online through audio chat rooms and videos. The company recognizes the fragmented characteristic of language learning. Unlike traditional online tutoring, BlaBla empowers teachers to create engaging video content for users to learn at their own pace online or host a real-time audio chat room to teach users speaking in various topics. Our goal is to foster a more convenient, fun, and effective educational experience for teachers and learners. Founded in 2019, the company has established offices and R&D centers in Suzhou, China, and Silicon Valley, CA. We believe that motivation and incentives are the keys to successful teaching and learning experiences.
We’re looking for people with a strong background or interest in building successful products or systems; you’re comfortable in dealing with lots of moving pieces; you have exquisite attention to detail, and you’re comfortable learning new technologies and systems.
As a Mobile Engineer, you will build the core of BlaBla products in a spectacularly robust fashion.
- Design, build and maintain BlaBla’s mobile app products;
- Work with engineers, product managers, designers, and stakeholders across the company to bring new features and products;
- Responsible for real-time audio and video communication SDKs integration tasks, included but not limited to audio and video, network, and other technologies;
- Research related technical solutions based on business requirements and designs;
- Love to improve user experience and usability to make users happy;
You may be fit for this role if you:
- 1+ years of iOS or Android mobile front-end development experience;
- 1+ years of Flutter development experience, familiar with Flutter related SDKs and third-party frameworks;
- Basic knowledge of software development, computer-related major is preferred;
- Familiar with iOS or Android related components and technologies, such as UI rendering principles, animation, network, image loading, audio, and video;
- Hold yourself and others to a high bar when working with production systems;
- Take pride in working on projects to successful completion involving a wide variety of technologies and systems
- Love front-end development, like to delve into new technologies, and have a strong learning ability;
- Thrive in a collaborative environment involving different stakeholders and subject matter experts;
What’s it like to work at BlaBla?
BlaBla app was launched in 2020 and accelerated by the Y Combinator program. Since its launch, its user base has grown primarily in Asia. These users are college students and young professionals in their early 20s from Taiwan, Indonesia, China, and the US, among others. Many users benefit from the short video content on the platform and the speaking evaluation pop quiz. In one year, we have built a great content platform for humans to review and annotate on uploaded videos. Additionally, we also launched real-time audio to bring users a brand new experience to engage with native speakers.
For example, our newly deployed audio chat room’s monthly retention is over 50%, indicating that users are coming back to join the chatroom, again and again. The average feedback score for over 100 audio chat rooms in May 2021 was 5 out of 5 with over 100 feedback collected so far. This is an early sign of product-market fit. Our research suggests that the audio chat room further drives creators to showcase their talents more effectively or enables new forms of digital learning in real-time. Our goal is to continue to incentivize learners to create content for their native languages on the platform so we can enable users to practice other popular and less common languages.
We look at BlaBla as a constant work in progress and the same is true of our people; for all of us, we believe the best is yet to come. We’re here to support each other in our curiosity and creativity – which we pursue through thoughtful discussion and knowledge-sharing among a diverse set of peers and colleagues.
We want to hear from you and share with you our vision. We will love to connect people who are passionate about language learning and knowledge sharing as much as we do.
Why you should join BlaBla Live
Practice English speaking 10X faster through fun and easy 1v1 or 1v4 audio chat rooms or short videos from native speakers! BlaBla is your fun, convenient, free app to enjoy an immersive English learning environment with endless topics, 12000+ video lessons, audio chatrooms, and more!
Immersive: Immerse yourself in 1v1 or 1v4 audio chatrooms and practice speaking English with native-speaker instructors.
Fun: Join Roundtable rooms to find language partners, make friends, and have a fun practice together.
Effective: BlaBla’s engaging and educational short videos (15sec - 1min), game-like features, and advanced voice recognition system help you practice effortlessly to build a solid foundation in speaking and listening.
Trackable: Track progress and achieve goals. Work toward your own language learning goals with incentive rewards and achievements rankings when you make a habit out of practicing daily!