General Counsel at Blair
About the role
We deeply care about helping young people be financially independent and believe that financial freedom is a critical precursor for mental and physical health. We dream big and want to offer every person in the world access to the education they need to succeed in life. At Blair, you will work with an exceptional team on solving a fundamental societal problem. Fundamental change comes with regulatory hurdles. This is why we need you!
We're looking for an internal counsel who helps us navigate the consumer finance landscape. You will work directly with our CEO, managing all legal matters at Blair. You will be a crucial factor in ensuring our flexibility, speed, and compliance. You will work on ensuring compliance with consumer financing laws, supporting us in complex finance transactions, and manage our corporate legal matters. We work closely with some of the best law firms in the nation but want a trusted internal source on legal matters.
- Monitor and update our compliance strategy according to existing laws and regulations
- Create legal reviews for the creation of new products
- Review and optimize contracts for complex projects with our school and capital market partners
- Structure legal terms for equity and debt financing transactions
- Support the C-Level in their decision-making by adding a trusted legal perspective
What we are looking for
- Law professional with 5+ years of experience in consumer finance
- Ability to deal with complexity. You will be required to work on many different legal matters of varying complexity and understand how they interact with our technology product. We need someone who is able to thrive in such an environment and can structure the issues.
- Business sense. Legal decisions are often not black and white but require weighing the risks. We need someone who understands the needs of a fast-growing business and can weave that into their recommendations.
- Ability to deal with the fast pace and ambiguity of a startup. Things change and sometimes you need to develop expertise as you go.
- Willingness to work with a young, fast-moving team of technology nerds
- Previous experience in a fast-growing technology company or expertise in capital markets preferred
- Ownership from Day 1
- Dynamic team and flat hierarchies
- Tackling a major societal challenge for this generation and the next to come
- Market-rate salaries and generous equity package
- Health insurance coverage, including Dental and Vision
- $100 monthly wellness or fitness allowance
- $500 annual learning or conference allowance
Why you should join Blair
Blair is offering Income Share Agreements as a Service to educational institutions. We enable every school in the US a simple way to offer outcome-based financing to align their incentives with their students. We are funded by world-class investors, including Y Combinator, Tiger Global, and multiple prominent Founders & Business Angels.