Bonsai is looking for an entrepreneurial, data-driven, and creative Head of Growth Marketing. You will own the entire acquisition funnel, from strategy to execution, across paid, earned, and owned channels. Your objective is to drive profitable growth while building a playbook to improve performance across product and marketing.
You will be part of the marketing team, but will work very closely with product, design, and engineering, and will be a key player in the evolution of the product and business.
As the VP of Marketing, you will...
- Develop a growth strategy then execute it: You will build a holistic understanding of our user acquisition channels and conversion funnels, and will use that knowledge to create a cross-channel growth strategy. This will include developing new acquisition channels while improving the efficiency and scale of existing ones. Bonsai is a small, close-knit, and nimble team, and we're looking for someone who can simultaneously think strategically and then get their hands dirty and execute.
- Allocate capital and manage a budget across channels: This role is fundamentally about capital and time allocation. Where can we get the biggest bang for marketing buck? How can we invest appropriately in scaling up proven channels while experimenting to find new profitable channels?
- Set us apart from the competition: We won't always outspend our competition, but we can embrace our creativity and experiment more / faster than they can to stand out. We're will to take risks, and you'll partner with design, product, and marketing to build clear, compelling, differentiated (and fun!) marketing initiatives across channels.and brand values to stand out.
- Lead. Your understanding of the full funnel enables you to present learnings across teams, report to leadership, and keep the entire company informed about our growth efforts. You'll also be leading a small growth marketing team, with two direct report currently, and more to come in the coming months as we're growing the team to 10 people.
The ideal candidate has...
- A results-oriented mindset. You love to set goals, track progress, and achieve them. You can define what success looks like and communicate that within and across teams.
- 8+ years in marketing and experience managing marketing teams. This role is ultimately about developing channels and then developing teams around those channels. You've done this before and are great at it. Experience in SMB / self-serve SaaS is not required, but strongly preferred.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills. We're a remote and semi-async team, so clear communication to people at teams in all functions at all levels is key.
- A creative and "T shaped" mindset. This is a very interdisciplinary role, where you'll work with marketing, content, product, engineering, analytics, and more in a given day. You should be able to think creative and through the lens of these various disciplines.
- Competitive salary, plus profit sharing and bonuses
- Unlimited holidays --- we actually want you to take time off
- All-expenses paid team retreats --- our last retreat was in Mexico!
- Unlimited professional development stipend --- books, classes, coaching, whatever you need
- Strong culture of work / life balance --- it's a marathon, not a sprint
- Complete internal transparency --- everyone sees everything within the company
🌳 About Bonsai
Bonsai helps 500,000+ freelancers in 100+ countries start, run, and grow their businesses.
The way the world works is changing: Freelancers make up 40% of the workforce today and will be 50%+ by 2030. People want flexible and independent careers. Companies want great on-demand talent. This is one of the largest shifts since the Industrial Revolution, but the tools to support it are stuck in the 20th or even 19th centuries!
That's where Bonsai comes in. We take care of a freelancer's admin work - contracts, proposals, invoices, payments, accounting & taxes - so they can focus on the work they love and just make money. Ask any freelancers you know... they'll tell you this is a huge and painful time suck.
We're profitable, growing very quickly, and are backed by some of the world's best investors (YC, Matrix Partners, Index Ventures).