Senior Backend Engineer at Brave Care
About the role
About Brave Care
We’re a team of technologists, doctors, and parents working to ensure that every child reaches their full potential. We believe all children deserve excellent care and all parents deserve a healthcare process they can understand. We’re rebuilding the entire pediatric healthcare process—from how clinics are designed and managed, to the operating system that powers pediatric clinics, to the apps that connect parents to their doctors.
We’re one of the best-led and well-funded healthcare startups. We have an industry-leading NPS of 90 (average is 60 in healthcare), have raised $45MM from mission-aligned social impact investors, and are led by a seasoned executive team with a previous exit in healthcare.
About the Role
This is a full-time, remote position (US only) at a fast-growing startup.
We’re looking for a seasoned engineer to help us build Brave Care OS—the suite of tools (React Native apps) that run our clinics. You’ll work on a fully remote product team with other engineers, product managers, and product designers based in the US.
Everyone on the engineering team can work across the stack (although some specialize). We use TypeScript, Node.js, React Native, Hasura, Postgres, and GraphQL to build our mobile & desktop apps, website, and backend.
We use React Native extensively across iOS, macOS, and Android.
What You’ll Do
- Build new features.
- You will contribute to the end-to-end development (scoping, coding, testing, and deployment) of new product features across our collection of desktop and mobile apps using React Native & TypeScript. Prioritize our infrastructure.
- You’ll help build a performant, secure, extensible platform for our web and mobile applications and monitor those systems.
- Test your code. You’ll write unit tests, end-to-end tests, and ensure that new features work on iOS, macOS, and Android.
- Level up our engineering team. You’ll join our on-call rotation, participate in code reviews, and share your knowledge with other engineers.
- 5+ years of software development experience
- Experience managing cloud-based infrastructure (AWS)
- Experience with infrastructure as code (Terraform, Pulumi)
- Experience improving the monitoring and observability of an application
- Familiarity with Typescript, Hasura, GraphQL, and Postgres
- You have HIPAA / SOC2 compliance experience
- You’ve worked in healthcare
- You’ve worked in venture-backed startups
- You love kids
Who You Are
- Your work matters to you. You take pride in your work and strive to build things people love. You leave things better than when you found them.
- You make a positive impact. You work to understand the impact you have on your team, your company, and your customers. You look at actions in context, balance stakeholder needs, and make hard decisions.
- You talk and listen. You’re equally comfortable bringing new ideas to the table and listening to others' ideas.
- You openly discuss trade-offs, potential pitfalls, and potential wins with teammates.
- You’re a great teammate. You help people do their best work, ask for feedback, and hold people accountable. You value insights from every department and enjoy working cross-functionally.
- You focus on the people using the software you write. You think holistically about how people experience a product. - You put yourself in their shoes, think through all use cases, and find ways to make a meaningful difference in their lives.
- $150,000 to $200,000
- 0.075% to 0.125% equity
Total Rewards package includes:
- Competitive salary plus equity
- 100% employer paid family health care coverage including medical, dental, vision, Life & Disability Insurance
- 4 weeks paid vacation
- 2 weeks paid sick leave
- 11 holidays + 2 floating holidays
- Wellness allowance ($100/month for physical & mental wellbeing)
- Professional Development allowance
- Paid Parental Leave (3 months)
Not sure if you meet every one of our requirements? Please apply anyway. We'd love to hear from people who are invested in our mission of helping every child reach their full potential.
Brave Care is an equal opportunity employer and committed to equity, diversity, and inclusion. Qualified applicants will receive consideration without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, veteran status, or disability.
Why you should join Brave Care
At Brave Care, we are building the future of healthcare for kids. We are rethinking what getting care for your kiddo looks like in order to create the best experience for kids and parents. That means building everything from the tech to the clinics, end to end ourselves.
Brave Care is full of kind people doing the best work of their careers. Self-starters who want to work collaboratively to achieve more. We learn from each other and support each other when things inevitably don't go as planned. We offer competitive salaries and benefits but more than that, work that matters. Making the world a better place is a cliche in the startup world, but the impact we have on children and families can change their lives.