Bioinformatics/Data Scientist at Bristle (W21): Oral health screening and treatments from home at Bristle
About the role
We're an inclusive team spread across North America working together to usher in a new standard of oral health care.
Our technology leverages the oral microbiome - the makeup of bacteria, fungi, and viruses in your mouth - to identify risk factors and biomarkers associated with health and disease. We provide at-home saliva testing to detect the earliest signs of cavities and gum disease, then provide personalized treatments to prevent them.
Our mission is to democratize access to oral health care, and develop technology that enables the discovery of novel therapeutics and biomarkers for oral health.
What we're looking for
We're bringing our MVP to market and are looking for a Bioinformatics Scientist with extensive experience in the computational analysis of the microbiome to help us meet our growing needs.
You'll work closely with the R&D, Product, and Engineering team to build and improve a platform to discover and validate novel biomarkers of oral and systemic disease.
If you’re a jack-of-all-trades + team player looking for diverse projects then this is a good fit! Open to remote candidates, but Bay Area or San Diego local is preferred.
Qualifications and experience
- Masters or PhD in Bioinformatics, Computational Biology or related field with at least 1 year of industry experience
- Experience with NGS data analysis toolkits for the purpose of metatranscriptomic and metagenomic data analysis
- Experience with PostgreSQL or other SQL databases
- Experience with Python, R, bash, statistics, and data visualization
- Experience deploying and automating scalable bioinformatics pipelines in AWS
- Knowledge of microbiology and microbiome literature and methodologies
What you'll be doing
- Architecting, developing, testing, deploying, and maintaining code for the purpose of analyzing the oral microbiome to develop salivary diagnostics for oral and systemic health conditions
- Utilize bioinformatics workflows and implement the delivery of scalable and robust production-level systems
- Working closely with R&D, product, and engineering teams to build impactful products that democratize access to oral care
- Building scalable pipelines to analyze multi-omics datasets
Why you should join Bristle
Bristle is re-inventing the oral health check up with a low-cost at-home saliva-based test to diagnose oral diseases such as cavities and periodontal disease. The platform that we are developing leverages next generation sequencing of the oral microbiome, enabled by molecular methods developed at Bristle. Our mission is to democratize access to oral health care, and develop technology that enables the discovery of novel therapeutics and biomarkers for oral health.