Director of Finance at BuildZoom
About the role
BuildZoom is the only trusted marketplace for high-value renovations and residential construction, a $250B market in desperate need of disruption. We guide people through the challenge of finding and hiring the right contractor for their project, saving them time, money, and aggravation. We’ve hit an inflection point and are scaling quickly; this year alone, we’ll manage nearly $300M in projects and are doubling each year with a clear path to becoming the category defining company in residential construction.
We’re looking for a uniquely talented individual to join BuildZoom’s executive team and spearhead our financial strategy & execution.
BuildZoom combines marketplace dynamics with a tech-enabled service to provide consumers with an optimal hiring experience. In addition, we license our data to large, corporate partners. Given the multiple dimensions and revenue channels, the ideal candidate is someone attracted to the challenge of guiding the financial strategy for a multi-faceted, early growth-stage startup.
- Develop a comprehensive understanding of the business, our position within the market, and the underlying platform
- Rapidly become an expert in our reporting platform, which includes our financials, operating model, projections, and KPIs
- Start building strong relationships across the organization while learning how the different teams work in concert
- In collaboration with the leadership team, spearhead financial strategy, planning, and execution
- Ownership of the financial reporting platform that drives strategic decision-making; responsibilities include its maintenance, development, and communications with internal and external stakeholders
- Play a key role in developing and maintaining KPIs that closely align with the financial and strategic goals of the business; including ongoing analysis, interpretation, and communications of internal and macro trends
- Lead internal team members and external service providers within the Finance department, and guide the advancement of this team alongside the company’s trajectory
- Work with other departmental leads to manage, develop, and implement compensation plans, including equity, bonuses, and commissions
- Work with data & engineering leads to ensure consistency in financial and performance-based reporting
- 3+ years of proven success in an FP&A leadership role
- 6+ years overall experience in FP&A
- Past experience as an entrepreneur or as a leader within an entrepreneurial environment (e.g. startup or high-growth company)
- An analytical mindset with the ability to breakdown and communicate financial findings and results to a variety of audiences
- An inherent scrappiness. You have the ability to think strategically while also being able to jump into the weeds and get your hands dirty when needed
- Excellent communication skills with experience working with cross-functional teams
- Playing a key role in finance events; experience with investor relations a plus
Why you should join BuildZoom
We're leveraging data, ML, and web-based workflow tools to dramatically improve the construction and remodeling experience for homeowners, architects, and contractors.