Head of Growth at Bulletin
About the role
Bulletin empowers entrepreneurs to build the business of their dreams. Bulletin’s wholesale marketplace connects independent retailers with the best brands on the planet, and powers local retail in both the U.S. and Canada.
While it's never been easier to start a consumer brand, thanks to platforms like Etsy and Shopify, breaking into wholesale is still a cumbersome and expensive process for brands, especially with trade shows being closed throughout the pandemic. Our platform makes it easy and affordable for these brands to expand into wholesale and start selling their wares with online or brick-and-mortar retailers around the United States and Canada. Bulletin primarily works with independent retailers like boutiques, spas, wellness centers, bookstores, cafes, small grocers and more. These retailers can seamlessly transact with over 1,200 brands and shop our marketplace with Net-60 terms, which helps them with cash flow and budgeting. Meanwhile, Bulletin pays brands upon inventory shipment, which means they can focus on producing and perfecting their inventory, rather than chasing down unpaid invoices from retailer partners. Our financial terms are a win-win for both parties and have helped us hit 30% month over month growth since Q1 of 2020.
POSITION SUMMARY + REQUIREMENTS
Bulletin is looking for an experienced senior executive to help 10X our monthly GMV and grow our customer base from 6,000 retailers to 20,000+. This individual will be responsible for our “growth engine” – architecting and implementing a successful customer acquisition strategy focused on independent retailers around the United States and Canada. This individual will lead all Revenue, Sales, Advertising, and Marketing decisions and be the leading voice for growth at Bulletin.
This role offers a unique opportunity to innovate the company’s sales approaches and offerings, lead a great organization to higher levels of success and, as a hands-on manager, nurture a team of four that is focused on exceeding customer expectations and retaining retailers for the long‐term.
The ideal candidate has a proven track record in scaling two-sided marketplaces, building high-performance sales teams, measuring and optimizing funnel performance and consistently delivering strong revenue growth. Candidate must have the energy and grit necessary to succeed at a fast-paced, high-growth, early-stage company.
Responsibilities and Key Competencies:
- Develop and execute against plan for optimizing new retailer acquisition and retailer retention/reorder strategies to help 10X marketplace GMV.
- Improve Bulletin’s existing inside sales strategy, which includes cold email outreach, email marketing and cold calls.
- Help and guide Bulletin’s first paid acquisition strategy, which may include: paid social marketing and retargeting, - - AdWords, direct mail, among other tactics.
- Set weekly and monthly GMV targets and measurable goals for larger Growth Team.
- Implement immediate course corrections for team members not meeting their performance metrics.
- Oversee all sales-related processes and programs, including use of Salesforce, HubSpot, and Close.io.
- Recruit and manage any outsourced vendors as needed, whether for cold calling, direct mail, etc.
- Define and continuously monitor sales metrics to drive resource allocation to most effective sales and acquisition programs.
- Analyze critical data points such as: average order value, ratio of active retailers versus dormant retailers, reorder rates, and more, and work with Marketing and Business Ops to improve performance month over month.
- Collect and share customer feedback with senior leadership to focus overall business planning and product development strategy.
- Liaise with marketing and merchandising teams to increase conversions/orders generated by Bulletin’s email marketing programs (HubSpot), email triggers and workflows, and email marketing content.
- Maintain timely, accurate and transparent communications with the CEO, other company executives and the Board.
- Report on team performance metrics weekly and deliver performance reviews every quarter.
- Develop a performance-driven culture where sales success is celebrated.
- Work closely with marketing and product to ensure that sales programs, acquisition programs and messaging are aligned with marketing campaigns and on‐site messaging.
- Proven ability to develop the “growth engine” of repeatable processes, systems and relevant sales metrics.
- Strong quantitative thinker who is obsessed with funnel optimization, building effective acquisition marketing strategies, and rapid growth.
- Experience building and launching acquisition strategies that either break-even or maintain our strong CAC to LTV.
- Very strong entrepreneurial skills: proven ability to adapt and evolve sales methods in a rapidly growing company and developing market space.
- Experience managing and building reports within Salesforce Management experience at a fast-paced, high-growth startup or company with a similar culture.
- Strong leadership and interpersonal skills.
- Proven ability to leverage relevant customer feedback to impact competitive insights, improve and inform product roadmap, and overall company messaging.
- Proven collaborator able to leverage the strengths of his/her team while personally supporting and enabling others to succeed and shine.
- Excellent organizational, time management and presentation skills.
- Thrives in a competitive environment, wants to be the market leader and does what it takes to be successful.
- MBA preferred, but not required.
- Prior experience supporting small business customer preferred, but nor required.
- Experience with HubSpot or similar email marketing solutions preferred.
- Ideally has experience scaling a two-sided marketplace or scaling a commerce oriented platform.
Why you should join Bulletin
Bulletin helps entrepreneurs build the business of their dreams. Our wholesale marketplace connects independent retailers with the best brands on the planet, and powers local retail in both the U.S. and Canada. As a member of our team, you have unwavering respect for the small businesses in our growing community, and work every single day to build accessible solutions for the incredible customers powering our two-sided marketplace. You'll wake up knowing that your work matters, and that real, hard-working people - business owners, dreamers, risk-takers and creators - directly benefit from that work every single day. We're backed by Y Combinator, Kleiner Perkins, and Foundation Capital, and we're thrilled to meet you.