Director of Digital Transformation Strategy at Burrow
About the role
At Burrow, we make it radically easier to settle in by designing and manufacturing award-winning furniture for every corner of your home. We utilize extensive customer data and research to create the most convenient and comfortable end-to-end experience for our customers. Delivery, assembly, and reassembly (should you want to move) is a snap with our brilliantly simple designs. While our business is predominantly online, our HQ and retail showroom are in New York City.
Burrow is seeking a Director of Digital Transformation Strategy to join our rapidly growing team. Our goal of reinventing the category with speed, convenience and ease requires the highest level of technical and operational excellence. We’re looking for a hands-on strategist to guide our technology roadmap for industry leadership within the next 5 years. In this role, you will help us evaluate, plan, and execute on opportunities to scale the business utilizing technology-enabled solutions as well as take on the end-to-end ownership of existing infrastructure technology for its enhancement and proliferation. This role reports to the Chief Experience Officer (CXO) and will work closely with (a) the CEO on strategy, (b) cross-functional leaders to define business requirements, and (c) the CXO on technology planning and implementation.
- Strategic Planning – Work with the leadership team to build Burrow’s enterprise technology roadmap, clearly defining and articulating the impacts across the business of each decision.
- Technology Ownership – Fully comprehend and own the capabilities of our existing enterprise systems and new system, how they impact each other, and how they can be enhanced to support the growing needs of the business.
- Business Improvement – Lead data-driven, technology-enabled improvement efforts to help Burrow efficiently scale, make smarter business decisions, and improve customer and profitability metrics across operations, customer experience, retail and marketing.
- Requirements Definition – Work closely with stakeholders across the business (including Product Development, Sourcing, Operations, Customer Experience, Finance, eCommerce, and Marketing) to understand needs and requirements that can be solved through process and technology.
- Proliferation & User Adoption – Build systems that operators are excited to use by tooling them with the necessary features, documentation and training.
- Data Integrity Management – Responsible for ensuring data integrity across all systems, including tying all systems to NetSuite.
- Technology Best Practices – Zoom in and out on the technology and solutions landscape, being able to identify the necessary go-to enterprise platform partners, the emerging challengers who have sufficient value to invest in and the overall ecosystem trends to grow with.
- Cross Functional Guidance – Guide teams on best practices by utilizing your expertise in research, requirements gathering, project management, and stakeholder management.
- Minimum of 6-8 years of relevant experience, MBA preferred (but not required).
- Deep understanding of technology systems, and prior experience working with technology and engineering teams.
- Prior top tier management consulting, corporate strategy, or digital transformation experience is required with a focus on technology roadmap definition and implementation; experience at a consumer products eCommerce company is a plus.
- Prior experience with implementation and scaling of enterprise technology such as OMS, WMS, TMS, BI, etc.
- Have been through the best and worst technology implementations and integrations...and came out smarter.
- Experienced with writing and conducting RFPs and contract negotiation.
- Prior people management experience.
- Expert in Microsoft Office Suite required; experience working with NetSuite (ERP) is a plus.
- Prior experience in implementing cyber security protocols and running cyber security audits is a plus.
You in a Nutshell
- Organized and experienced in managing multiple cross-functional large-scale projects at once.
- Ability to take complex problems and distill them down into simple parts that can be systematically solved through process and technology.
- Ability to influence and communicate effectively with all levels throughout the organization and present comfortably to leadership, you are not fazed by tough questions on the spot.
- Love conducting primary / secondary research to identify unmet needs and translating data into strategic recommendations to aid in decision making.
- Creative thinker with a demonstrated track record of devising outside-the-box solutions.
- Excellent strategic problem solving and analytical skills.
- Ability to work both fast and right and do not view them as trade-offs, understanding when things require precision and accuracy and when 80% gets you to the desired outcome.
- Great attention to detail and self-motivator.
- Interested in finding the right answer vs. always having the right answer.
- Alignment with our core values: Customer Experience, Collaboration, Innovation.
Why you should join Burrow
Burrow makes furniture fit for modern life. In April 2017, Burrow launched their first product: a fully customizable sofa that’s easy-to-move and built-to-last. Their sofas are hand crafted in North Carolina with non-toxic, stain- and-scratch resistant fabrics and a hardwood frame made from ethically-forested trees. And because of their modular, adaptable design, all Burrow sofas ship for free in just a week. How revolutionary is this? Fast Company named Burrow one of the 10 most innovative retail companies in the world. Burrow started with the couch and will quickly expand into the entire home, maximizing convenience, quality, and comfort with every piece of uncompromising furniture they design.