Head of Engineering at Byte
About the role
Your mission is to lead the evolution of our product and technology strategy, along with building a growing team of software engineers. You should be highly motivated and an inquisitive Senior Engineer, with in-depth knowledge of the web ecosystem – from mobile and desktop to the cloud. You will work closely with the CEO and be part of the leadership team. You should have a desire to wear multiple hats, and thrive in a startup environment. The ideal candidate will have prior experience in a senior technical leadership position and deep expertise in building and shipping consumer facing products. Byte is growing rapidly so candidates should have experience hiring and supporting teams of engineers. You're also the kind of person that isn't afraid to get their hands dirty - day to day management of technical projects and members of the dev team. In the immediate term, you will be responsible for interfacing with outsourced development teams to inherit our existing systems and manage the transition to in-house development. In the long-term, you’ll grow & develop the technical team to build a scalable technology infrastructure and enable Byte’s nation-wide expansion.
- Hiring and retaining our first-rate engineering team, develop team structure and execution strategies, while managing the overall software development lifecycle
- Manage and execute against project plans and delivery commitments within an Agile/Scrum environment
- Work closely with the engineers to architect and develop the best technical architecture and approach
- Continue to innovate and overcome technology limitations to deliver a delightful customer experience
- Report on the status of development, quality, operations, and system performance to ownership and your peers in the executive leadership team
- We’re small and nimble, you’re someone who figures out how to do the things that need to get done and gets them done. You participate, delegate, and accomplish
- 8+ years of relevant engineering experience: MEAN/MERN, AWS, HTML5/CSS, mobile
- 5+ years of experience building and managing development teams that design and deliver highly reliable & scalable distributed systems
- 5+ years of experience with object-oriented design and agile development methodologies
- Experience in SPA frameworks such as Angular/React or Vue
- Experience in designing software architectures for scalability, reliability and performance
- Experience in CI/CD pipelines and Dev Ops
- Experience with developing automated internal frameworks, increasing developer and release velocity, improved code health and building developer tools
- Solid software development background including design patterns, data structures and test driven development
- Experience with project delivery for complex, cross-functional, cross-organizational projects
- Enjoys working in a fast-paced environment
If you want to build ground breaking technology with a team on a mission to change the world, let’s talk!
Why you should join Byte
Byte is building on-demand food delivery from cloud kitchens. Our vision is to make food-delivery more affordable and accessible in Pakistan. Byte is Pakistan’s first consumer startup to get into Y Combinator, and is backed by top Silicon Valley VCs and senior executives from Uber and McDonald’s.