Senior Software Engineer, Backend at Catch
About the role
A new world order of independents and creators is taking hold. More than 60M Americans are working freelance, part-time, contract, or gig jobs in an explosion of entrepreneurial opportunity. Unfortunately, our benefits have historically depended on us being tied to a single employer. For tens of millions of people, figuring out taxes, retirement, and health insurance has been near impossible.
Catch is the first portable benefits platform. In an easy to use app, independents can manage their own personal payroll and benefits automatically taking care of taxes, investing for retirement, and enrolling in health insurance. We do the hard stuff so that our customers can focus on what they do best: hustling, creating, building, and living their lives.
Join the Catch backend engineering team and build an innovative platform that manages and automates the most important thing for people to get right– their safety net. We're looking for driven and mission-forward engineers to help us reimagine the tax, retirement, and health insurance systems in the U.S. to be simple, modern, and integrated.
- Design, build and support the core financial and health systems for the Catch platform
- Design APIs and data models to work within microservice architectures
- Partner closely with product managers, designers, engineers, and business leads to define the roadmap by thoroughly understanding customers’ needs
- Build incrementally and deploy daily
- Have autonomy to research and achieve outcomes with support when you need it
- Creatively solve challenging technical problems at scale
- Designing, building, and operating our core infrastructure (e.g. container orchestration, continuous deployment, large scale load testing), used by all of Catch's engineers
- Leveraging modern infrastructure technologies, including AWS and Terraform
We’re looking for someone who has:
- Natural curiosity to learn new technologies, solve interesting problems and build quality software
- Desire to find flaws in a system with many moving parts and take whatever steps are necessary to fix them
- Desire to perform and grow as an engineer
- Technical initiative and leadership on previous projects
- Experience in some of our stack: Python, Go, gRPC, Mongo, GraphQL
- Experience working with AWS-hosted infrastructure
- Experience with infrastructure-as-code tools like Terraform
Working at Catch
Catch is a Series A stage startup. That means we're at the beginning of our journey to create a world where your safety net doesn't depend on your employment status.
We work hard. We win.
We are solving hard problems and believe that collaboration is critical to untangling the ambiguity we're tackling every day. Our headquarters are in New York City. We strongly prioritize candidates who can be in-person 3 days a week (Monday, Tuesday, and Friday). We're big believers that relationships and connection make the highest performing team. We also believe that flexibility is key, and providing time for deep thinking and flow is important to achieving outcomes. Our team works from home – or anywhere! – on Wednesdays and Thursdays.
This is the time to build the future we want to exist. To do that, we have assembled a team that's focused, inclusive, and ego-free. We're looking for people who are up for an adventure.
Catch is a YCombinator company and has raised $20M from some of the best investors and advisors in the industry including Crosslink Capital, Khosla Ventures, Nyca Partners, and Kindred Ventures. We're also backed by founders of Nerdwallet, Earnest, Enigma, Tagomi, and Tilde as well as executives and leaders from Apple, Public, Intuit, Harvard, Stanford, and Yale.
We think benefits are important. So we've invested in making ours great:
Competitive salary and equity
Medical, dental, & vision insurance
Life insurance and disability benefits
Flexible time off
Must be authorized to work in the U.S.
Why you should join Catch
Catch is building the future of financial infrastructure for the independent workforce. As the first personal, portable benefits platforms, we help freelancers, contractors, and gig workers build an automated safety net. We do tax withholding, retirement investment, and health insurance enrollment. We move money, create investments, and integrate with the Center for Medicare and Medicaid Services to be able to take action for those with volatile income. We believe the future of work mandates a new system to manage benefits, and the 80M Americans who lack employer plans certainly agree.