Backend Engineer at Centaur Labs
About the role
Centaur Labs has developed a novel approach to labeling medical data at scale, unlike any other product. Users of our mobile app DiagnosUs compete for prizes that we award based on how well they label our customers' images, videos, audio, and text data. Our investors include Accel, GFC, and Y Combinator.
We're looking for ambitious Backend Engineers who can help us tackle a number of exciting challenges:
- How do we convert laborious work that currently takes expensive experts a long time to do -- like segmenting all the slices of a 3D brain scan -- into small, high-throughput tasks that can be done quickly on a phone?
- How do we use cash prizes to incentivize labelers to try their best while anticipating and plugging loopholes that would allow users to game the system?
- How do we let anyone in the world use our app while preventing any individual from downloading or scraping the valuable datasets they're labeling?
Here are the primary criteria we're using to evaluate candidates for this role:
- You're a generalist software engineer with backend experience.
- You've been part of a team that is rapidly growing/changing, and made significant contributions to an evolving codebase.
- You have experience solving at least one of the challenges we deal with, such as: scaling to thousands of concurrent users, preventing users from finding/exploiting potential loopholes in gameplay, or customizing app experiences for individual users.
- Competitive salary and equity
- Medical and dental coverage
- 20 days PTO plus 11 annual paid holidays
- Parental leave (12 weeks fully paid)
- Spacious office at great location on Boylston Street across from the Prudential Tower
- Friendly office dog :)
Why you should join Centaur Labs
At Centaur Labs, we label data at scale to enable breakthroughs in medical AI. Our novel approach uses collective intelligence to aggregate medical opinions from experts and students all over the world. Our labeling customers include leading AI startups and prominent research organizations. We are a small, tight-knit team headquartered in Boston, and we're funded by Y Combinator, Accel, and GFC.