We are hiring for this role in San Francisco (this is not a remote position)
Ciro processes billions of data points from dozens of public and proprietary sources to deliver near real-time updates to sales teams about their prospects. As a Founding Data Engineer at Ciro, you will design and lead Ciro’s data infrastructure. You will see all parts of the business and shape Ciro’s culture from the earliest stages.
- Build high-performance data processing pipelines leveraging Python data engineering libraries, BigQuery, and PostgreSQL.
- Own and manage Ciro’s data pipeline infrastructure, including scheduling/orchestration, data movement, and deployment.
- Work closely with the founders and early customers to set product and technical direction for the company.
- Play a lead role in defining Ciro’s engineering culture as we grow.
Sample projects you might work on:
- Design and build a machine learning system to classify a business’s industry and the services it provides based on the text of its website.
- Design a system to automatically deploy and orchestrate Python data processing scripts on Google Cloud.
- Design a system to regularly synchronize Ciro’s data indexes — Postgres, BigQuery, and Typesense (similar to Elasticsearch).
Some of the skills we’re excited about:
- 5+ years of software backend/data engineering experience, including familiarity with data modeling, ETL, schema and system design, Git-based workflow, and documentation.
- Sound knowledge about database concepts such as transactions, indexing, and concurrency.
- Productive, resourceful, and effective at problem-solving.
- Ability to balance effective execution with a high bar for engineering excellence.
- Preferred: Experience using modern deployment technologies like Docker and at least one major Cloud provider (AWS/GCP/Azure).
- Preferred: High degree of SQL proficiency and knowledge of modern data stack technologies like BigQuery/Snowflake and dbt.
Sales is about building relationships — but you wouldn’t know it from watching most sales teams today. The average sales rep spends 1-2 days per week researching and list-building instead of spending time with customers.
We’re building the most comprehensive index of small businesses in the world, combined with elegant software that gives salespeople superpowers. Our stodgy competitors (e.g., Dunn and Bradstreet) have been around for 100 years and have not innovated in decades.
Ciro is a tight-knit team of engineers, sales execs, and product managers with experience from Meta, Stanford, Google and Bain & Co. Two of the founders served as VPs of Sales at high-growth SaaS startups and understand our domain deeply. We are cash flow positive and are backed by some of the best investors in the world, including Y Combinator, SV Angel, CRV, and the founders of Flexport, BuildZoom, and Tegus.
If our mission speaks to you, we’d be delighted to meet you. The only thing we love more than our customers is our people! Join us for the adventure of a lifetime 🚀
- Be exceptional ⭐
- Cironians have high standards. The desire for excellence permeates all the things we do — the daring ambition of our company, the craftsmanship behind our product, and how we hire and retain the best people.
- Act with urgency 🏎️
- We are relentless in our quest to help our customers and believe that speed is a fundamental advantage in building a great company.
- Foster teamwork & trust 🤝
- We believe the best teams are comprised of people who trust each other.
- We put in the effort to build a collegial environment where we make our teammates feel included and empowered to do their best work.
- We openly and transparently share our thoughts and expectations with each other.