Senior Software Engineer at Culdesac
About the role
Culdesac's mission is to build cities for people, not cars. We're the first post-car real estate developer, and our goal is to build the first car-free city in the US. We're starting with the first car-free neighborhood built from scratch - that's Culdesac Tempe, a 1000-person neighborhood.
All of this draws from a core insight: the way we move defines the way we live. And the way we move is changing fast, with countless ways to get around today beyond private cars. Here's more https://medium.com/culdesac/introducing-culdesac-3fbfe7c4219c
Senior Software Engineer at Culdesac is a high impact role. You will have an outsized ability to shape the direction of the company in deploying high quality customer and internal-facing software. You are a self-starting, organized, & energetic professional that will contribute to a wide range of engineering strategy, teamwork, and execution as we deliver scalable systems and top-notch user experiences. This is an engineering position, not a management one. However, because our team is still relatively small, "tech lead" activities, such as leading technical decisions, and mentorship, may fall under its umbrella. You should feel comfortable and excited to take those on as the need arises.
We are primarily looking for this position to be located in Tempe, AZ but are accepting applications for remote as well.
- Scope, implement, and ship complex engineering projects on time. This is the bulk of this role.
- Collaborate, often remotely, with product, bizops, and other areas of the company in the US to create and own Culdesac's technical roadmap.
- Lead, proactively unblock, and collaborate extensively with other engineers.
- Advocate for excellence, diligence, shipping speed, and maintainability both on the team and in your own work.
- Advocate for best-practices even when under pressure.
- Institute technologies, processes, and tooling that increase the effectiveness of the entire engineering team.
- Cultivate buy-in when difficult decisions need to be made.
- Support other staff in assigned project-based work.
- Any additional responsibilities shared by your manager.
- Driven, ambitious person with an innate sense of humility.
- Full-stack experience. Our current stack consists of Django, GraphQL, React, Apollo, TypeScript.
- Extensive experience delivering quality engineering solutions in different business domains.
- Experience collaborating with and leading engineering teams.
- Prioritizes customer experience and quality of product.
- Relentless focus on getting the job done.
- Context-switch effectively in a fast-paced environment.
- Manage a high degree of complexity both within technical domains and in other areas of the business.
- Rigorously reason through 2nd and 3rd order consequences.
- Intrinsically motivated by quality work and collaboration.
- Strong moral compass.
- Excellent at giving and receiving constructive feedback, especially the hard-to-give variety.
- Values a caring, supportive, and honest culture.
This role is part of our experimental 10+2 program. It is based in Tempe for 10 months of the year, and is remote for the other two months.
Culdesac is an equal opportunity employer. We celebrate diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees. We prohibit discrimination and harassment of any type without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, national origin, disability status, genetics, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local laws.
Please include a link to your portfolio.
###Questions: Are you interested in learning more about being a resident at Culdesac Tempe?
What locations are you open to? (Choices are Tempe, SF, and remote)
###Work Eligibility Are you legally authorized to work in the U.S.?
Will you now or in the future require visa sponsorship for employment at Culdesac?
###Transportation Lifestyle Please describe how you are prioritizing a lifestyle leveraging public transportation, micro mobility, and other alternatives to private cars.
What micromobility have you tried/have experience with? Is there something new in this space that you're particularly excited about trying?
###Walkable Neighborhoods Why do you think there aren’t enough walkable neighborhoods in the US?
###Aditional Information Add a cover letter or anything else you want to share.
Why you should join Culdesac
We're the first post-car real estate developer, and our goal is to build the first car-free city in the US. We're starting with the first car-free neighborhood built from scratch - that's Culdesac Tempe, a 1000-person neighborhood.
We use our diverse skills to create beautiful harmony between tech, real estate, and mobility. Join our team!