Android Engineer at Curtsy
About the role
Why we started Curtsy
Curtsy was started by four high school friends who wanted an easier and more sustainable way to sell and shop for fashion. Despite our 10x growth over the last year, we're still a small team of 15 people.
We noticed that existing fashion resale apps were hard to use, filled with spam, and dominated by businesses — not real people. Curtsy is a sustainable alternative to fast fashion that helps women simplify their lives, switch up their style, and earn extra cash. We're focused on Gen Z which is the most underserved demographic within the resale category.
We’ve doubled our business in the last few months and just recently broke the top 20 apps list for the shopping category in the App Store. We have hundreds of thousands of monthly active users, strong customer loyalty, and have grown 30% monthly for the last year.
We’re a Y Combinator company (S19) and recently closed our Series A led by Index Ventures with participation from CRV, Kevin Durant, and other top-tier angel investors.
Want to know more? Get to know us even better by reading about Curtsy's values on our blog.
About The Role
We get an email like this several times per week:
"Thank you for the welcome, but sadly my adventure with you will have to wait until you make an Android version."
We’re looking for a talented partner to help us go from zero to one on Android. Achieving parity with our iOS app so that everyone in the U.S. is able to use Curtsy is our top priority as a company, so this effort is incredibly important to us.
As an early team member, you'll have a ton of autonomy and play an active role in determining product strategy, building out the team, and more. If you have ambitions to start your own company one day or be an early hire at a startup, this role would be perfect.
What success looks like:
- Help launch Curtsy on Android, from MVP to eventually reaching parity with our iOS app.
- Collaborate directly with our designer to ensure our app is designed to feel natively Android.
- Establish best practices around testing, deployment, and new version releases.
We're looking for:
- 3 years experience building Android apps end-to-end.
- Proficiency in Kotlin and the Android platform.
- Understanding of Android best practices including performance optimization, application life cycle, UI layouts and styles, and software architecture patterns.
- Tremendous equity upside from joining our early team in a leadership role.
- Competitive base pay.
- Unlimited PTO and a culture of working hard but actually taking time off.
- Extremely flexible work life, based in San Francisco when you want to come into the office.
- Non-elective 401K contributions.
Commitment To Diversity
We view empathy as a competitive advantage, which is why we value a diversity of backgrounds and perspectives. We strongly encourage women, people of color, and other under-represented groups to apply. We don’t discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.=
Why you should join Curtsy
Curtsy is an app that makes it easy for the 1M women in our community to sell clothes and shop sustainability. Just a decade ago it wasn't possible to sell clothes online—the only options were local consignment and donation centers.
Apps like Ebay and Poshmark ushered in a new era of online selling, but they're dominated by people selling as a business, and inaccessible to working women, students, and casual sellers. Curtsy changes that with an easy-to-use, simple platform built for Gen Z, who are more likely to switch up their style weekly than accumulate clothes over time like their parents.
Curtsy, now ranked #20 in the App Store shopping category, has grown 5X in the last year by making it possible to sell and shop at a time when COVID-19 has limited access to local retail and consignment stores nationwide.