Senior Electronics & Firmware Engineer at Mytos
About the role
London, White City
Competitive salary plus options
You rarely get the chance to change an industry. But that's the position in which we find ourselves. Join us, and you’ll unleash scientists, accelerate their research and help get vaccines and drugs to patients earlier.
We’re Mytos and we’re automating cell culture, one of the most painful and important processes in biology.
We’re a low-ego, high-urgency team of 18, backed by Y Combinator, the most successful startup accelerator in the world. Ours is a startup R&D environment that uses the latest design and product thinking to solve complex electronic engineering problems. We’re less worried about building circuits from scratch and more excited about working out which layer of our architecture is the most elegant place to solve a problem.
This is a great opportunity to work on projects that span hardware, electronics and software. When you join us, you’ll get to:
- Work alongside an incredible team, from experts growing stem cells to R&D hardware engineers creating custom optics.
- Be part of a company which is tripling in size in the coming year, presenting a lot of opportunity for personal growth.
- Help drive early electronics design and development for our next generation product release.
- Build robust electronic solutions that stand the test of time.
- Dive into a fast-paced build-break-iterate cycle with keen involvement in prototype design and development.
- Tackle control challenges, work on robotics and orchestrate an array of sensors and actuators so that researchers can put down the pipette and get to the actual science.
- Help shape our engineering culture and processes so that we keep continually improving.
We’d love to hear from you if:
- You have collaborated on a team where you have worn many hats across electronics and firmware.
- You have experience in bringing an electronics design from concept through validation into a certified product with a good understanding of EMC, Design for Manufacturing and Design for Test principles.
- You don’t consider yourself a traditional electronics engineer. While you’ve written embedded firmware in C, real time systems (RTOS) with closed loop control and solved signal-processing challenges using C++, you’re also experienced in Python and know your way around a Linux terminal.
- You build hardware that lasts. You understand the importance of holistic hardware testing and catching failure modes in the lab - not in production.
- Building great products, iteratively and incrementally is important to you. You build in failsafes, design robust MVPs and act on the data logs your designs generate.
- You understand the importance of good testing and design so you’re familiar with GoogleTest or similar C++ testing and mocking libraries.
- You have driven schematic capture and PCB design work using Altium or similar software.
- You have proven experience across different microcontroller architectures and IDE’s, from Arduino to PIC/STM32/AVR/MSP430/NRF52/ESP32 etc.
We’re building a team that enjoys moving fast and not killing cells, strives for continuous improvement through learning from mistakes and is passionate about work that contributes to solving real world problems. We learn together, grow together and solve hard problems together.
We get excited about meeting potential colleagues who share our enthusiasm for unconstrained innovation and understanding our users. Our benefits include options, 24 days holiday (excluding bank holidays), pension, thoughtful colleagues and a lab in the Imperial College Innovation hub in White City, where you’ll be based.
Why you should join Mytos
You rarely get the chance to change an industry. But that's position we find ourselves in.
We're developing a revolutionary new automated human cell growing system. Cells are key to every biotech and pharma company - from those developing new drugs, to those developing new cell-based medicines. And yet today they're all grown totally manually, the same as 100 years ago. With our machines, for the first time our customers can hands-off manipulate and monitor batches of cells from the cloud.
We've already signed up some of the biggest companies in the space as customers for the coming year, and in the near future, our solutions will be growing cells for cell therapies - the best cancer cures ever created. Join us and help us get there! We have recently been featured in top lists from Labiotech as well as Forbes, and we're backed by Y Combinator, the most successful startup accelerator in the world which produced companies such as AirBnb, Dropbox, and Cruise.
You can learn more about what it's like to work at Mytos in this video: Link