Senior Backend Cloud Software Engineer at Mytos
About the role
London, White City (with flexible working)
£60 - 90,000, depending on experience
We're Mytos and we build machines that automate the growing of human and animal cells. Our work has a massive real-world impact. We help teams in drug development and cell therapy accelerate their research so that drugs and new cures can get to patients earlier.
You don’t have to be wearing a lab coat to get the most out of working here though. We’re a low-ego, high-urgency team that spans software, hardware and biology. Our product encompasses mobile apps, hardware controllers, image processing and the latest cloud computing technologies. For us, software runs from the cloud to the firmware. And as we’re sure you can imagine, this creates all sorts of opportunities to grow your skills with us.
We’re working hard on one of the last highly manual processes in biotech, and it all stems from taking a human-centred approach to physical product design. Our founders, Ali and Ignacio, kept hearing about how time consuming cell growth was, and that many of the existing robotic processes didn’t solve the underlying problems - they just replaced the human with a robot. Our approach meant we saw the underlying user need. So rather than replicating the existing lab process, we built a simple new device. Our users can now grow and monitor cell batches from the cloud, allowing them to step away from the pipette and focus on the science.
This is an opportunity to work on projects at the interface of software, hardware and biology.
When you join us, you’ll get to:
- Lead architectural decisions for how the cloud and device interact, including technology selection for data ingest from events streamed from the device.
- Define best practices for writing cloud software, including approaches to using test driven development and required test coverage.
- Work closely with device software engineers in order to agree data shape for cloud device communication and specifics of request response formats.
- Write performant code for persisting device data and making it consistently available to be queried over GraphQL in the front end.
- Be involved in growing the software engineering team, with the opportunity to take the role of hiring manager when bringing other engineers onto the team.
- Participate in and contribute towards improving the software engineering process at the company including standups, sprint planning and retrospectives.
- Mentor fellow engineers to teach them how to approach problem solving and architecture planning, with focus on making the whole team high performance.
We’d love to hear from you if:
- You have experience with pub/sub messaging protocols or queues and the AsyncAPI initiative interests you.
- You have worked with distributed systems which use an event based architecture to either manage lots of independent services or highly replicated services.
- You understand the interactions between services at scale, how to manage updating services independently and planning for redundancy.
- You are very proficient at writing strongly typed and performant TypeScript code for NodeJS applications using the latest language and framework capabilities.
- You have had at least 5 years experience as a backend developer in a product focused organisation with lots of active customers.
- You care about the performance of everyone on the team, including supporting previous organisations in being more agile in how they plan and deliver software features.
- You have actively mentored engineers you have worked with in order to help them perform the best and grow into incredible software engineers.
We use the following technologies:
- Frontend (Netlify): React, TypeScript, GraphQL
- Backend (AWS & Heroku): NodeJS, TypeScript, GraphQL, MongoDB
- Physical Device (on-premise): NodeJS, Typescript, FastAPI, Python, MQTT
- Firmware: C++, GTest, GMock, Bazel, Platformio
Our interview process is as follows:
- Introductory call with a Mytos team member (30 minutes)
- Take home Codility coding challenge (2 hours)
- Competency interview with a software engineer at Mytos (1 hour)
- Take home preparation for technical onsite interview (2 hours)
- Technical onsite interview (2 hours)
- Founder interview (1 hour)
We’re building a team that enjoys moving fast and not killing cells, strives for continuous improvement through learning from mistakes and is passionate about work that contributes to solving real world problems. We learn together, grow together and solve hard problems together.
We get very excited about meeting potential colleagues who share our enthusiasm for unconstrained innovation and understanding our users. Our benefits include options, 32 days holiday, pension, thoughtful colleagues and a lab in the Imperial College Innovation hub in White City, where you’ll be based (when not working remotely).
Why you should join Mytos
You rarely get the chance to change an industry. But that's position we find ourselves in.
We're developing a revolutionary new automated human cell growing system. Cells are key to every biotech and pharma company - from those developing new drugs, to those developing new cell-based medicines. And yet today they're all grown totally manually, the same as 100 years ago. With our machines, for the first time our customers can hands-off manipulate and monitor batches of cells from the cloud.
We've already signed up some of the biggest companies in the space as customers for the coming year, and in the near future, our solutions will be growing cells for cell therapies - the best cancer cures ever created. Join us and help us get there! We have recently been featured in top lists from Labiotech as well as Forbes, and we're backed by Y Combinator, the most successful startup accelerator in the world which produced companies such as AirBnb, Dropbox, and Cruise.
You can learn more about what it's like to work at Mytos in this video: Link