Senior Mechanical Design Engineers at Mytos
About the role
Senior Mechanical Design Engineer
London, White City
£55-75,000 plus options, depending on experience
You rarely get the chance to change an industry. But that's the position in which we find ourselves. Join us, and you’ll unleash scientists, accelerate their research and help get vaccines and drugs to patients earlier.
We’re Cytera Cellworks and we’re automating cell culture, one of the most painful and important processes in biology.
We’re a low-ego, high-urgency team of 13, backed by Y Combinator, the most successful startup accelerator in the world. Ours is a startup R&D environment that uses the latest design and product thinking to solve complex mechanical engineering problems. You’ll integrate new functionality, and improve the reliability and robustness of our devices, and help us get to manufacture quicker. You’ll work alongside our research team and focus on successfully delivering the device to our end users.
This is an opportunity to work on projects at the interface of engineering and biology. When you join us, you’ll get to:
- Make our devices more indestructible - iterate and improve the robustness and reliability of our machines.
- Design components and sub-systems that interface to areas you might not be familiar with, such as optics and fluidics.
- Work on all aspects of hardware design - from initial concept through to manufacture.
- Refine and build existing proof-of-concept features and collaborate on integrating new ones.
- Refine our test rigs, quality processes and data, and harness them to improve our sprint velocity and help us move faster.
- Help shape our engineering culture and processes so that we keep continually improving. You’ll enjoy the autonomy, accountability and customer-focus that we bring to our work.
We’d love to hear from you if:
- You’ve brought at least one complex product to market - ideally in the lab automation, medical devices or biotech space, but we’re open to other areas too.
- You have a keen understanding of building reliability into hardware R&D processes.
- Complex systems containing hardware, electronics and software fascinate you. You cannot wait to work on a device that incorporates multiple electro-mechanical systems that move with high precision in tandem with one another.
- The open-source hardware movement interests you, even though your industrial experience may not have touched on things like Adafruit, SparkFun, Arduino and Raspberry Pi. What you do enjoy are non-traditional approaches to prototyping and finding ways to get things working. You might even have learnt to code to get things talking to each other.
- Manufacturing techniques including injection molding, sheet metal fabrication and CNC machining are part of your toolkit
We’re building a team that enjoys moving fast and not killing cells, strives for continuous improvement through learning from mistakes and is passionate about work that contributes to solving real world problems. We learn together, grow together and solve hard problems together.
We get very excited about meeting potential colleagues who share our enthusiasm for unconstrained innovation and understanding our users. Our benefits include options, 32 days holiday, pension, thoughtful colleagues and a lab in the Imperial College Innovation hub in White City, where you’ll be based.
Why you should join Mytos
You rarely get the chance to change an industry. But that's position we find ourselves in.
We're developing a revolutionary new automated human cell growing system. Cells are key to every biotech and pharma company - from those developing new drugs, to those developing new cell-based medicines. And yet today they're all grown totally manually, the same as 100 years ago. With our machines, for the first time our customers can hands-off manipulate and monitor batches of cells from the cloud.
We've already signed up some of the biggest companies in the space as customers for the coming year, and in the near future, our solutions will be growing cells for cell therapies - the best cancer cures ever created. Join us and help us get there! We have recently been featured in top lists from Labiotech as well as Forbes, and we're backed by Y Combinator, the most successful startup accelerator in the world which produced companies such as AirBnb, Dropbox, and Cruise.
You can learn more about what it's like to work at Mytos in this video: Link