Test Automation Engineer
You’ll improve our test automation coverage, particularly mobile testing, and help us strategize and implement other testing tools to reduce friction in our release process. This is a role for an engineer passionate about creating developer tools to support your coworkers.
Who we are
Daily is WebRTC video and audio for every developer. We're building the APIs and infrastructure to power the future of video, and the Internet.
Developers use Daily to add real-time video and audio experiences to any product. Our features range from prebuilt UIs and lower-level APIs to call quality data and global infrastructure and compliance. We serve developers across use cases — like events, productivity, edtech, and healthcare — and serve teams of all sizes. We're a remote team led by seasoned executives who value inclusivity and work-life balance, focus on growth (last year we saw 10x growth), and have raised over $60 million in funding to date.
We take pride in making it as easy, fast and flexible as possible for developers to build with video. As our offerings, functionalities, and features lists grow, we are in need of a more advanced and automated Quality Assurance (QA) system that will allow our internal team to ship with confidence. We are looking for a Test Automation Engineer to help us build and maintain such a system.
We currently have one engineer who has deep expertise in testing our lower-level systems, who you will work in partnership to expand our testing systems. Initially, your focus will be on mobile test automation and React Native module releases. The role also includes building frontend tests and will likely involve some manual testing in the beginning. Over time, you’ll help us build our systems so that every change and deployment has the right test coverage, and improve frameworks that our developers use for creating their own tests, to ensure we keep it that way.
One thing we love about our work is helping other developers and product teams build what they envision. This role takes that approach to a meta level, as you will focus on helping our own developers and product teams ship great software. If you’re motivated by supporting your internal team, excited by early opportunities, and committed to an inclusive and kind team culture, please reach out!
What you'll do
- Support the larger Engineering team by building and maintaining our testing strategies, particularly for mobile testing
- Work with teams to determine the minimal automated test coverage we need and implement it
- Create developer tools and write playbooks to help your colleagues work more effectively
- Help us improve our CI system: collaborate with developers to simplify releases and increase their confidence in shipping
- Help us evolve our testing culture
What you’ll need
- Experience building and maintaining automated end-to-end tests, particularly mobile automation testing in the context of build and development systems
- Experience developing test frameworks, both off-the-shelf and custom tooling. (Selenium WebDriver, Cypress, Puppeteer, Appium/Browserstack are some libraries we currently use, but we aren’t dogmatic about tooling, and we’re open to all automated test solutions)
- Solid writing skills for communicating clearly with coworkers. (This is so important, we require a cover letter in the application)
- 5+ years of test automation experience, at least two years of that with an engineering department of less than 50 people
- Bonus if you have experience working with real-time media or scaling infrastructure; basic AWS knowledge is helpful but not required
Compensation and benefits
- We level based on years of relevant experience. Each level has one salary and equity; they're the same across roles (so, for example, test automation engineers are paid at the same rate as product engineers). Compensation also is the same rate regardless of location. (We updated our compensation in January 2022 after an extensive internal process. The linked post talks about how we level candidates, in part because we believe clarity in levels benefits all of us. It’s also the case we strive to be consistent among staff on each team, and we haven’t included all of the details about how we level every role. If you apply and we get to the offer stage, we’ll be actively interested in learning about your experiences—but we may count certain work as indirect to maintain fairness within our team. If we’re in that discussion with you, we’ll do our best to share all the information that informs our decision.)
- Level 3: 5-6 yrs relevant experience, $155,000
- Level 4: 7-8 yrs, $180,000
- Level 5: 9-10 yrs, $210,000
- Level 6: 11-14 yrs, $240,000
- Level 7: 15+ yrs, $270,000
- Medical, dental, and vision group coverage for US teammates
- Matching 401k for US teammates
- Local country payroll/coverage for teammates outside the US
- PTO: We ask that you take at least four weeks paid vacation
- Parental leave: paid 4 months leave
- IT budget: please get what you need to be effective
- Professional learning & development budget
- Remote team: work from anywhere, though for this role, you need an ability to work on US time zones some of the time (i.e., at least some hours, some days)
More about us
- Applying and interviewing is tough — thanks for considering us. We try to make it as humane as possible by sharing information with you as we go and keeping things moving to the best of our ability. Below is an overview of our full process.
- We’re fully remote and always have been, with engineers around the world. Our leadership team includes people who have run remote teams for years.
- Excellence requires diversity: we strongly encourage candidates from underrepresented backgrounds in technology to apply.
- Please learn about us, https://daily.co/jobs. As it says, we care deeply about what we build and seek kindness and diversity. Take care of yourself and your family's time.
- We believe in a healthy work-life balance. We’re a startup, but we work reasonable hours and want you to use your vacation time (seriously).
- Daily has raised over $60 million from investors including Renegade Partners, Lachy Groom, Tiger Global, Slack Fund, Y Combinator, and leading angels like April Underwood, Aston Motes, Rahul Vohra, and Scott Belsky.
More on our hiring process
Because communication skills are so important to us, our application requires a cover letter. If we’d like to move ahead, we’ll ask you for a call. Here’s what our whole interview process looks like:
- Hello call. Our VP of Engineering has a video call with you. This is to learn about each other, and see if we can have a good conversation about where we're a mutual fit. We'll tell you about what we're building, how we think about the market opportunity, and how our team works. We're eager to learn about you.
- Take-home exercise — compensated. We don’t do live exercises or tests. Instead, we give you a sample project to work on on your own schedule. It’s about two hours of thinking and writing. We will pay you for your time.
- Teammate video calls — two of these, and each may include a couple of Daily staff. We’ll use the first to talk about your take-home and other automation and devtool focused topics. The second will likely focus on bigger-picture topics. We’ll let you know ahead of time who you’ll be meeting with.
- Cofounder call. You’ll have a video call with one of our two co-founders. We’re still small enough that it’s important to meet them as part of the process.
- References. We talk to at least two people. We typically ask to talk to a peer and a manager.
- Wrap-up call. You’ll talk again with our VP of Engineering about specific projects and teams you might join.
How to apply
Please provide a resume and/or LinkedIn profile and a cover letter with a little info on why you’re interested in Daily and why you think you’re a fit for the role. As we note above, because written communication is a big part of our culture, the cover letter actually matters!
Research shows that applicants who are female or non-binary, as well as applicants who are people of color, are less likely to apply for roles they don't feel 100% qualified for. If you think you meet more than 60% of our requirements but fewer than 100%, please apply. Our job posting is the starting point for discussion rather than a perfect description of what we need.
Equal Opportunity Employer
Daily is an equal opportunity employer. We don't discriminate against people because of their race, ethnicity, sex, age, religion, national origin, marital status, pregnancy, personal appearance, veteran status, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, family responsibilities, or political affiliation.