Data Scientist at Dataherald
About the role
This is a unique opportunity to join a well-funded Y Combinator backed startup. The candidate will be working side-by-side with the CTO to design and build the early major releases of the company’s products and help set the technical direction and culture of the company.
About the company
HiGeorge helps companies, no matter how big or small, better leverage the world’s data to create business value. We do this by providing a no-code service where businesses can access the world’s public data and visualize it. Think Tableau with all the world’s public data already attached.
Today, HiGeorge enables media companies like the Chicago Tribune to easily create best in class data visualizations for their readers at a fraction of the cost and time of an in-house team. We can do this by leveraging our proprietary data pipeline engine and front-end libraries that allows us to configure new auto-updating data feeds without writing new code.
HiGeorge launched over a year ago and has grown 10x since last December. We are backed by a mix of Silicon Valley and media institutions such as YCombinator, Bertelsmann Digital Media Investments (BDMI) and Garage Technology Ventures. Our ambition is to make data accessible to everyone and build the next multi-billion dollar tech company along the way.
We are seeking an experienced, talented Data Scientist to join the product and engineering team at HiGeorge in Los Angeles or remotely anywhere around the world. You’ll be bringing your skills and expertise to create data content that makes our business possible and delivers insights to many.
In this role you will
As a data scientist at HiGeorge, you will be involved throughout the product life-cycle of delivering data content to our customers. From interfacing with our Operations and Customer Success teams to collect customer requirements and priorities, designing and building data visualizations and dashboards, owning relationship with data partners and and exploring datasets to find key insights.
- Previous experience working with large datasets
- Advanced knowledge of SQL and query optimizations
- Experience with dimensional data modeling & schema design
- Experience in ETL design, implementation and maintenance
- Highly experienced with Python, Pandas
- Independently design, build and launch new ETL pipelines in production
- Collaborate on improving the company's data pipeline engine
- Design schema for master records from multiple external sources
- Own relationships with our data partners
- Design and build data integrity and quality controls and processes
- Design and build ML models to classify incoming data
- Mentor other team members
Why you should join Dataherald
Dataherald allows you to easily create compelling visualizations from public data. Think Tableau but with all the necessary data attached. Most writers don't have the staff/resources to create great visualizations like the New York Times but HiGeorge gives them that power.