UX/UI Designer - Mobile at Eight Sleep
About the role
Eight Sleep is the world’s first sleep fitness company. Our mission is to fuel human potential through optimal sleep. We use innovative technology, detailed design, and proven science and data to personalize and improve each night for everybody—changing the way people sleep forever and for better.
Backed by leading Silicon Valley investors including Founders Fund, Khosla Ventures and Y Combinator, we’ve raised over $70 million to date. We were recognized as one of Fast Company’s Most Innovative Companies in Consumer Electronics in 2018.
Our temperature-regulated smart bed, the Pod Pro is an absolute game changer, improving people's health and happiness by changing the way they sleep. It was named one of Time Magazine’s Best Inventions of 2019. We’re excited by the recognition and still have a long way to go toward achieving our mission.
That's why we are hiring a UX/UI Designer with extensive experience in product design for native applications. The ideal candidate has worked within a start-up or midsize company with small squad-like teams. We are looking for candidates with a background in designing applications for consumer use -- subscription service experience is a big plus. This is the first full time design hire for the Mobile team, so the ideal candidate is someone who likes to lead, is an outstanding individual contributor, who can take ownership of the end to end workflow, is self-driven and motivated in their work. Someone with a high bar for product quality, and a passion for health tech and wellness will thrive in this role.
How you'll contribute First and foremost, we are a mission-driven company, so passion for what we do and our mission is key. At a high level, the role encompasses three areas:
- Design: You’ll create innovative mobile experiences — via information architecture and low-fidelity wireframes to high-fidelity mockups, and everything in-between — to solve real problems for our users in a way that is both usable and beautiful for both iOS and Android devices.
- Validate: You’ll conduct usability studies and user interviews to inform design work. You’ll use data to inform success or failure of design.
- Iterate: You’ll combine qualitative and quantitative customer insights to make design decisions that make our product better and move the needle to drive engagement and retention.
Some other details about the role:
- You’ll work as part of a cross-disciplinary team to deliver successful experiences that drive value for both our customers and our business.
- You’ll help build, document and organize the UI components of our design system.
- You’ll be the subject matter expert responsible for mobile user interactions - including researching and staying up-to-date on emerging mobile design trends and best practices.
What you need to succeed:
- You are interested in the health and wellness space, particularly in sleep.
- 2-3+ years experience in mobile interface UX and UI, with a strong portfolio including live examples.
- You’ve shipped your designs to public users and have data that proves either success or failure.
- You are able to consider the technical implications of design decisions, and have the ability to find the right balance between new user value and technical effort.
- You have a passion for user research, from developing to executing user interviews and testing.
- You are obsessed with simplicity, have a high quality bar for the aesthetics in your design.
- You thrive as an independent thinker, and can manage the design process from end to end even in open-ended ambiguous environments.
- You are a strong collaborator.
- You enjoy working remotely.
- You are excited about the opportunity to build a fast-growing brand into an iconic company.
- You have a Bachelor’s degree in a related design field or equivalent experience.
Bonus points for:
- Having shipped successful products at small and mid size technology startups and have the data to prove it.
Why you’ll love Eight Sleep:
- We’re a tight-knit, passionate team that’s working to impact people’s lives by improving the way they sleep
- Leadership is committed to employees’ wellness and career development
- You’ll get a better night sleep every night; all full-time employees receive the Pod
- Unlimited PTO
- 100% employer contribution for medical/dental/vision insurance
- Fully distributed workforce
- Role ownership, and uncapped growth opportunities
At Eight Sleep we continually celebrate the diverse community different individuals cultivate. As an equal opportunity employer, we stay true to our values by ensuring everyone feels they can flourish and grow. We are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, gender identity or Veteran status.
Why you should join Eight Sleep
Eight Sleep is the first sleep fitness company. At Eight Sleep we design products at the forefront of sleep innovation. Our mission is to power human potential through better sleep, using innovative technology, detailed design, and proven science and data to personalize and improve each night for everybody—changing the way people sleep forever and for better. Backed by leading Silicon Valley investors including Khosla Ventures and Y Combinator, it was named by Fast Company in 2018 as one of the Most Innovative Companies in Consumer Electronics.
We've just launched our temperature-regulated smart bed, the Pod. It's an absolute game changer, improving people's health and happiness by changing the way they sleep. Early feedback is great, but we still have a long way to go toward achieving our mission.