System Engineer, Driverless Vehicles at Faction
About the role
Over the last few years, there has been a rush to develop technologies targeted at enabling autonomous vehicles, yet almost every company in the industry is still retrofitting legacy vehicle platforms and many are no closer to having a finished product.
Faction was founded in February 2020 with a focus on developing a deployable software architecture and hardware reference for future digital vehicle platforms. While there has been significant autonomous industry investment in perception, decision making, and control systems, many companies remain focused on areas of active research versus productization.
We are hiring for a System Engineer who will be responsible for building Faction's core platform. In this role, the System Engineer will develop the roadmap for our vehicle's capabilities as our vehicles move from development to production.
What You’ll Do:
- Build the core platform that runs on Faction vehicles
- Define technical requirements, design, and test systems to control our self-driving vehicles safely
- Develop the roadmap and grow our vehicle capabilities as our vehicles move from development to production
What You'll Need:
- BS/ME in Electrical Engineering or equivalent practical experience
- At least 3 years industry experience designing, writing, and maintaining production-level code
- Expert in C++ and Python in a production environment
- Expert in embedded C and RTOS in a production environment
What Makes You Stand Out:
- Previous experience deploying and integrating software with external customers.
- Experience with firmware
- Experience with sensors such as cameras, LiDar, radars, ultrasonics etc.
- Experience in automotive or robotics.
- Experience in safety standards and compliance
Faction is located in South San Francisco, California and authorization to work in the United States is required for this position.
Faction does not discriminate in employment on the basis of race, color, religion, sex (including pregnancy and gender identity), national origin, political affiliation, sexual orientation, marital status, disability, genetic information, age, parental status, military service, or other non-merit factor.
Why you should join Faction
Faction develops driverless electric vehicles that have the speed and performance of cars, but at the cost of a motorcycle. We do driverless combined with remote human supervision, so we’re not gated by waiting for 100% autonomous technology.
Faction’s team has collectively developed and launched autonomous vehicle systems ranging from light electric vehicles to heavy class 8 semi trucks. Our team can lay claim to having built some of the first autonomous vehicles deployed to paying commercial customers in 2018 and having developed the first driverless vehicle systems to have run on public highways with no safety driver on board in 2019.