Head of Engineering at Finch
About the role
We are on a mission to empower innovators to access the global employment ecosystem and connect the world's employers under a single API. To do this, we're looking for individuals who think about problems holistically and in-depth, who are relentlessly curious, self-starters, and determined to drive ideas from inception through to completion.
Finch is a Y Combinator company and backed by a fantastic set of firms, angels, and our developers including General Catalyst, Menlo Ventures, Homebrew, BoxGroup, YCombinator, Charley (1st business hire at Plaid), Sima (ex-Head of Biz Dev at Plaid), Henrique + Pedro (co-CEOs at Brex), Jeff + Wayne (co-CEOs at Digits), Immad (CEO at Mercury), Sam (CEO at Vouch Insurance), Karim (CTO at Ramp), and more.
About Our Team
We're a team of problem solvers. We value velocity, curiosity, empathy, and diverse perspectives. Everyone on the team is excited about the scope of the problems we address and the potential impact our work can have on the global workforce. We realize that the value we provide comes with great responsibilities, and therefore make security and privacy our highest priorities. We come from a diverse set of backgrounds and each member brings different skills to the group. We're passionate about our individual crafts, the hobbies we keep, and the relationships that we build. We are excited to get to know you and learn how we can work together as a team.
At Finch, we put people first. As the Head of Engineering, you'll be working closely with our CEO in a variety of activities - from growing healthy and performant teams, to developing people through mentoring and coaching and collaborating in organizational design.
This role is about making everyone around you better by building and maintaining a culture of feedback, setting the highest quality standards, and supporting everyone in attaining them.
What You Will Do
- Making everyone around you healthier, more productive, and fulfilled.
- Enabling healthy team processes, with the right pace and operational cadence.
- Ensuring the right sizing of the team to deliver on team and company goals.
- Coaching team members on their career paths and goals through continuous feedback.
- Partnering with the internal people team on interviewing and hiring, new joiner pre and on-boarding, retention, and more.
- Working with the CEO on setting the foundations for the healthy growth of Product and Engineering.
- Defining the roadmap with the Product and Engineering team.
Who You Are
- You are technically astute and able to arbitrate technical discussions with the team.
- You can be trusted with a high degree of autonomy.
- You have experience in managing and growing software engineers, and finding the right opportunities for them.
- You take pride in communicating clearly.
- You build a people-first, collaborative and empathetic environment.
Nice to Haves
- Previous founding experience.
- Experience working at an API company or on an external facing API team.
- An itch to start a company in the future. We will invest in you!
- Work from home budget
- Unlimited vacation policy (with mandatory minimums)
- Paid lunches
- Wellness stipend
- Book and education budget
- Semester offsite company trips
Finch is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, ancestry, color, family or medical care leave, gender identity or expression, genetic information, marital status, medical condition, national origin, physical or mental disability, political affiliation, protected veteran status, race, religion, sex (including pregnancy), sexual orientation, or any other characteristic protected by applicable laws, regulations, and ordinances.
Why you should join Finch
👋 Welcome — Finch is on a mission to empower innovators to access the global employment ecosystem and connect the world's employers under a single API.
Finch is the API to access payroll and HR systems. Our platform allows employer admins to grant developers access to their systems in a compliant and secure manner. Finch integrates across providers enabling developers to access a previously closed system and reach the source of truth for employee data and money flow. Our API powers use cases across lending, insurance, benefits, FP&A, and HR applications.
We are a Y-Combinator company backed by top investors like General Catalyst, Menlo Ventures, BoxGroup and angel investors from firms like Plaid, Brex, Digits, Ramp and Mercury.