Head of Engineering at Firstbase.io
About the role
About the role
Firstbase.io is hiring a Head of Engineering who will be chiefly responsible for leading the technical direction of our distributed engineering team. The Head of Engineering will create and execute the technical vision in continuity with the overall product roadmap, resolving technical differences within the team, and own effective and high-quality delivery of the product. It is expected that the candidate has a strong technical background in both the front-end and back-end, is an effective communicator, and willing collaborator.
Firstbase is building an all-in-one Company OS to help define how founders across the globe launch, manage, and grow their businesses.
More than ten thousand founders from over a hundred countries have used our incorporation product, Firstbase Start, to launch their startup. For many founders, "firstbase.io" has become what they type into their address bars when they think about incorporating a business.
We are backed by Y Combinator & our team, investors, and advisors include people from Apple, Gusto, Carta, Wise, Plaid, and many other great companies.
Why you should join
Firstbase is much more than just incorporation. Our team is dedicated to building products & solving some of the startups’ hardest problems, with a particular focus in:
- Democratizing access to financial infrastructure
- Automating tasks every founder faces when running a business
- Making tools and resources more accessible to everyone, everywhere
- Building integrated solutions for founders and removing friction
- Delivering opportunities to traditionally overlooked founders and companies
- Democratizing access to knowledge
Join us on a mission to help more companies succeed!
Who are we looking for
We are looking for risk-takers with diverse experience able to provide fearless feedback.
You will have the following duties
- Facilitate planning—the prioritization and delegation of work for the team
- Write and ship high-quality back-end and front-end code
- Collaborate with product management and design to evaluate possibilities and estimate time and complexity of ideas
- Review code and provide recommendations and feedback
- Hold the engineering team accountable to iterations and roadmap commitments
- Notify stakeholders of timeline risks, and work to mitigate them as quickly as possible
- Work with all members of the team to determine roadmap commitments
- Set an example for the team in transparency and asking clarifying questions
- Recruit, build, and, develop, and manage a diverse and inclusive team of engineers
You should meet the following requirements
- 5+ years leading and managing engineers with a record of shipping high-quality products
- 10+ years of experience writing code, preferably at a startup
- Foster growth by creating collaborative, yet challenging environments—ones where engineers do their best work
- Comfortable interfacing with partners to implement collaborative solutions—i.e. REST API's
- Proficient in managing work via a project management tool—preferably Clubhouse.io
- High tolerance for change and enjoy jumping around if the business demands it while bringing the team along with you
- Experience implementing new engineering practices and processes—e.g., code review, or performance reviews—where they didn't exist before.
- Proficient in both oral and written English communication
- Located between GMT -5 to GMT+3—not required
You stand out of the crowd if
- You have hired and/or managed distributed teams
- You have experience building software for Incorporation or other legal services
Some perks you might enjoy
- Competitive salary and equity: We lean on some of the best market data to ensure that we offer the most competitive compensation.
- Hybrid work environment: We work both remotely & from our offices in New York City in São Paulo – optimizing for collaboration while providing flexibility to team members.
- 21 days of PTO + birthday off: We offer flexibility to allow people to relax and recharge whenever they need it.
- Build your ideal work setup: We understand that how you work is extremely important, so we provide a stipend to set yourself up for success here at Firstbase.
- Health benefits: Firstbase offers health insurance reimbursements to both US and international employees.
- Learning and development: We provide a stipend together with resources to help people grow and develop in their careers.
- Amazing quarterly bonus: Every team at Firstbase has a bonus structure that usually accounts for 20-25% of OTE.
Our product is built using PHP, Symfony, Vue, PostgreSQL, AWS. We also use Redis, Vue Router, Vuex, Docker Compose, Docker, GitLab CI, and Graylog, and some third-party API's like Stripe. We use Slack, Clubhouse, Notion, Whimsical, Figma, and G Suite to collaborate and build together.
Why you should join Firstbase.io
Firstbase is building an all-in-one Company OS to help define how founders across the globe launch, manage and grow their businesses. More than ten thousand founders from over a hundred countries have used our product, Firstbase Start, to launch their startup. For many founders, "firstbase.io" has become what they type into their address bars when they think about incorporating a business.