Senior Software Engineer, Trade and Financial Services at Flexport
About the role
Build the first modern logistics platform
Flexport is building the first modern logistics platform to make global trade easier for everyone. We are solving complex problems on a global scale, and disrupting a multi-trillion dollar industry that has remained stubbornly unchanged.
Customs is a key part of global trade. As the customs team, our mission is to make clearing customs seamless for our teams and clients. Our goal is to automate all regulatory steps and requirements when moving goods across borders. We are working on automated integrations with governments around the world, building smart workflows to automate manual work and build client facing applications to empower them to manage their logistics and customs operations.
High quality software development is integral in allowing us to fulfill our mission of making global trade easier for everyone. At Flexport you’ll develop systems that are at the forefront of reshaping the entire logistics & supply chain industries.
- Be part of the customs engineering team to build products to grow our customs business.
- Work closely with business partners, product managers and design to distill complex business problems into elegant technical solutions.
- Craft the engineering vision, and own the technical landscape, for a major domain in the world of logistics that powers global trade.
- Mentor and grow junior engineers.
- Build and launch products rapidly and incrementally. We ship to production dozens of times per day.
What you’ll build:
- Figure out the most efficient way for our customers and partners to participate in the process of moving freight across borders.
- Automate archaic filing processes and save the operations team thousands of phone calls per week.
- Deliver supply chain insights to logistics teams via a world-class analytics experience.
You should have:
- 6+ years of experience writing software, and a strong engineering background.
- Experience as a generalist working on both the frontend and backend to provide the best solutions for our users.
- A love of simple, well-tested code that is easy to extend and hard to break.
- The ability to convey technical ideas in common terms to business partners, product managers, designers and engineers alike.
- A bias for action. When you see a problem, you solve it.
- An aptitude for learning quickly.
- Optional: experience in Ruby, Rails, Node.js, React, GraphQL, PostgreSQL
Our continuous releases are integrated with Buildkite and Github. On the frontend, we create our views with React, manage the flow of data with GraphQL/Relay, and test our application with Jest. On the backend, we’re in the process of decoupling our monolithic Rails app and introducing services using other languages, such as Java, Node.js and Go. Our data is persisted in mostly Postgres and Redis. Our stack is hosted on AWS using Docker.
Engineering Culture and Values:
Check out our Key Values profile.
We believe global trade can move the human race forward. That’s why it’s our mission to make global trade easier for everyone. We aim to do this by building the Operating System for Global trade - a strategic model combining advanced technology and data analytics, logistics infrastructure, and supply chain expertise. Flexport today connects almost 10,000 clients and suppliers across 109 countries, including established global brands like Georgia-Pacific as well as emerging innovators like Sonos. Started in 2013, we've raised over $1.3B in funding from SoftBank Vision Fund, Founders Fund, GV, First Round Capital and Y Combinator. We’re excited about the three big ways we’re moving forward after our recent $1B investment from SoftBank Vision Fund in February 2019.
Worried about not having any freight forwarding experience?
- Don’t be! We’re building the first Operating System for Global Trade. That’s why it’s incredibly important for us to bring people from diverse backgrounds and experiences together with our industry veterans to help move the freight forwarding industry forward.
- What’s freight forwarding and why does it matter? Freight forwarding is the coordination and shipment of goods from one place to another and it’s what makes global trade possible. Flexport is on a mission to make global trade easier for everyone because we believe it can help connect the world and break down economic barriers.
- We know this industry is complex. That’s why we invest in education starting day one with Flexport Academy, a one week intensive onboarding program designed specifically to set every new Flexport employee up for success.
At Flexport, our ability to fulfill our mission of making global trade easy for everyone relies on having a diverse, dedicated and engaged workforce. That is why Flexport is committed to creating and nurturing an environment where anyone can be their authentic self. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment regardless of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, physical and mental disability, health status, marital and family status, sexual orientation, gender identity and expression, military and veteran status, and any other characteristic protected by applicable law.
Why you should join Flexport
Flexport's mission is to make global trade easier for everybody. We are connecting humanity in a seamless web of global trade with our unique blend of software, human expertise, and physical infrastructure.
Our platform connects all the roles in the supply chain to improve the user experience and drive down transaction costs of international logistics, while helping companies make more data-driven decisions about where, when and what products to ship.