Staff Software Engineer, Marketplace at Flexport
About the role
Build the first modern logistics platform
Flexport is building the first modern logistics platform to make global trade easier for everyone. We are solving complex problems on a global scale, and disrupting a multi-trillion dollar industry that has remained stubbornly unchanged.
Our Marketplace aggregates supply from Ocean, Air, Trucking, and Rail Carriers and prices the supply for world trade lanes by creating innovative service offerings. Main responsibilities of Marketplace platform include: Structuring the services we provide, tracking our inventory, and productizing how we price. We're looking for experienced engineers to help develop products that are at the forefront of reshaping the entire logistics & supply chain industries
High quality software development is integral in allowing us to fulfill our mission of making global trade easier for everyone. At Flexport you’ll develop systems that are at the forefront of reshaping the entire logistics & supply chain industries.
- Independently architects and leads major projects which have a significant amount of complexity and cross functional dependencies.
- Think big picture, dive deep into the domain and communicate the architecture of Marketplace systems to technical and non-technical stakeholders.
- Design systems that represent the real-world intricacies of logistics entities, such as services, routing, transit times, and pricing.
- Build and launch products rapidly and incrementally. We ship to production dozens of times per day.
- Work closely with business partners, product managers and design to distill complex business problems into elegant technical solutions.
- Mentor and coach relatively junior engineers in the team to write modular, testable code and design scalable solutions.
- Craft the engineering vision, and own the technical landscape, for a major domain in the world of logistics that powers global trade.
What you’ll build:
- Determine and model the data structures that represent the services we procure and sell.
- Platform that enables dynamic pricing, service selection and pricing optimization.
- Automate workflows and build data pipelines which will enable our Pricing Ops to manage services in the catalog better.
- Bring trade to everyone in the world.
You should have:
- 8+ years of experience writing software, and a strong engineering background.
- Experience as a generalist working on both the frontend and backend to provide the best solutions for users.
- A love of simple, well-tested code that is easy to extend and hard to break.
- A bias for action. When you see a problem, you solve it.
- The ability to convey technical ideas in common terms to business partners, product managers, designers and engineers alike.
- Effectively and reliably delivers large projects, including breaking the projects down into smaller pieces.
- An aptitude for learning quickly.
- Optional: experience in Java, Ruby, Rails, Node.js, React, GraphQL, PostgreSQL
Our continuous releases are integrated with Buildkite and Github. On the frontend, we create our views with React, manage the flow of data with GraphQL/Relay, and test our application with Jest. On the backend, we’re in the process of decoupling our monolithic Rails app and introducing services using other languages, such as Java, Node.js and Go. Our data is persisted in mostly Postgres and Redis. Our stack is hosted on AWS using Docker.
Engineering Culture and Values:
Check out our Key Values profile.
We believe global trade can move the human race forward. That’s why it’s our mission to make global trade easier for everyone. We aim to do this by building the Operating System for Global trade - a strategic model combining advanced technology and data analytics, logistics infrastructure, and supply chain expertise. Flexport today connects almost 10,000 clients and suppliers across 109 countries, including established global brands like Georgia-Pacific as well as emerging innovators like Sonos. Started in 2013, we've raised over $1.3B in funding from SoftBank Vision Fund, Founders Fund, GV, First Round Capital and Y Combinator. We’re excited about the three big ways we’re moving forward after our recent $1B investment from SoftBank Vision Fund in February 2019.
Worried about not having any freight forwarding experience?
- Don’t be! We’re building the first Operating System for Global Trade. That’s why it’s incredibly important for us to bring people from diverse backgrounds and experiences together with our industry veterans to help move the freight forwarding industry forward.
- What’s freight forwarding and why does it matter? Freight forwarding is the coordination and shipment of goods from one place to another and it’s what makes global trade possible. Flexport is on a mission to make global trade easier for everyone because we believe it can help connect the world and break down economic barriers.
- We know this industry is complex. That’s why we invest in education starting day one with Flexport Academy, a one week intensive onboarding program designed specifically to set every new Flexport employee up for success.
At Flexport, our ability to fulfill our mission of making global trade easy for everyone relies on having a diverse, dedicated and engaged workforce. That is why Flexport is committed to creating and nurturing an environment where anyone can be their authentic self. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment regardless of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, physical and mental disability, health status, marital and family status, sexual orientation, gender identity and expression, military and veteran status, and any other characteristic protected by applicable law.
Why you should join Flexport
Flexport's mission is to make global trade easier for everybody. We are connecting humanity in a seamless web of global trade with our unique blend of software, human expertise, and physical infrastructure.
Our platform connects all the roles in the supply chain to improve the user experience and drive down transaction costs of international logistics, while helping companies make more data-driven decisions about where, when and what products to ship.