Android Framework Engineer at Flock Safety
About the role
Help us eliminate non-violent crime, one community at a time
Are you excited about eliminating non-violent crime and fascinated by the potential for technology to accelerate it? Do you want to help build a company that’s solving crime every day, while creating public / private partnerships, and protecting the privacy of individual citizens?
Flock Safety exists to eliminate crime from our communities. We believe that safety starts, not when you enter your home or even your property, but when you enter your community. We are stronger when we all work together and that's why Flock Safety developed technology specifically designed to help private citizens and local law enforcement work together to stop crime.
While safety is serious business, we still think there is some space for having fun. We call Atlanta home and are well funded by YCombinator, Matrix Partners, BedRock Capital, and Founders Fund - and we're growing.
About the opportunity Flock is looking to add an Android Framework Engineer to our device software team. Our device team is made up of scrappy engineers who are responsible for all of the code running on a variety of devices Flock deploys in the real world. They enable the whole experience by writing applications that reliably capture, process, and upload over 200M images per day for years at a time without needing human interaction to keep them running.
Some challenges you’ll tackle
- Integrate and customize Android frameworks to Flock Safety’s custom hardware platforms
- Work with the kernel team and device software teams to enable required functionality in Android-based devices (e.g. cameras, environmental sensors, power systems, etc.)
- Optimize Android system services and frameworks to run in a headless environment
- Develop, review, test, and debug Android APIs and system services
- Ensure the stability and robustness of the system software from ideation through production and launch
- Work with systems designed for ultimate redundancy and high availability
- Balance performance with energy consumption - we’re a machine learning enabled media processing machine powered by the sun!
- Integrate Android with other IoT devices to share data to help each other understand and respond to the environment
- Strong desire to understand the root cause of a problem and deliver a robust solution.
- Development experience with embedded systems, especially headless and/or industrial/non-consumer devices
- Experience bringing up devices and customizing BSPs for Android other embedded build systems such as Yocto or Buildroot
- Experience developing for non-phone/tablet/watch Android Devices (preferred)
- Strong knowledge of and experience with AOSP architecture and comprising projects
- Extensive experience coding in C/C++ and Java, specific experience with Android Frameworks and System Java preferred
- Extensive knowledge of Android fundamentals (ART, RIL, AIDL, Broadcast, Binder, Messenger, SystemServer, etc.). - - Specific experience with the Java/Frameworks side of these interfaces preferred
- Experience in dealing with complex systems and codebases (AOSP, Android Makefile, Soong, HALs, etc)
- Familiarity with Linux internals (process scheduler, memory management, concurrency, synchronization, memory allocation, file system, networking, storage, subsystem architecture)
- Familiarity with Android system software, Android HALs and Driver Architecture
- Experience working in a Linux development environment with GNU toolchain and standard project management tools (Git, Github, Gerrit, etc.)
- Some knowledge of common peripheral bus technologies including SPI, I2C, UART with focus on how Android interacts with these types of peripherals
Why join the Flock? When you join the Flock, you are joining a diverse team of passionate, ambitious, intelligent people that put team over self. We offer competitive salary, benefits, and the opportunity to grow your career at a fast-paced, high growth start up. We genuinely care about the well-being of our employees both in and out of the office and understand the importance of work/life balance. We’d love for you to join us in the fight to eliminate non-violent crime, one neighborhood at a time.
Why you should join Flock Safety
Flock makes wireless security systems for neighborhoods and police departments.
While only 13% of non-violent crime is solved today, with our wireless license plate reading cameras, our goal is to take that to 100%.