Software Engineer - Search
About the role
Email is the universal communication tool for work. It’s where you discuss work, answer questions, and talk to all of your customers, vendors, and partners. But email wasn’t made for business and hasn’t evolved to help you work with a team. So you’re dropping the ball, missing important context, and relying on many siloed apps that make you less productive as a whole.
With more than 5,000 customers and $79 million in funding from Sequoia, DFJ and others, Front is reinventing the inbox so people can accomplish more together. We’ve created one place where you communicate internally and externally, gain context about customers and projects, and access all your other tools so you can be more efficient, more fulfilled, and ultimately happier at work.
At Front, our search stack drives intelligent features and algorithms for showing relevant results to users. This system drives core parts of the Front product. The features and algorithms you develop will power the search, autocomplete and browse results of the Front web, desktop and mobile apps. We’re looking to hire talented, self-motivated search engineers to join our core search team.
What will you be doing?
- Build the core search infrastructure at Front.
- Iterate and improve our recommendation, personalization, query understanding and ranking algorithms which have applications in several core product areas, including full-text search, autocompletion and message retrieval and display.
- Apply state-of-the-art techniques to retrieve relevant results with optimal ranking and go beyond generic relevance algorithms.
- Participate in the full development cycle: design, develop, Q&A, experiment, analyze, and deploy.
- Collaborate across disciplines to find technical solutions to complex challenges.
- Work in a fast-paced startup environment, with other engineers, data scientists, and teammates across the product and business organizations.
What skills and experience do you need?
- Product mindset, we’re a product company on a mission to “advance how people work”.
- 5+ years of industry experience building highly available, large-scale distributed search systems at a large-scale internet service.
- Experience scaling data stores such as Elasticsearch.
- Strong track record of launching and delivering projects of significant complexity and high level of ambiguity.
- Understand the trade-offs in employing different engineering solutions to a problem, valuing pragmatism over idealism.
- Ability to thrive in a dynamic, fast-paced, collaborative, and high-growth environment.
- Full professional English proficiency.
- Experience as a tech-lead of a high-achieving team.
- Advanced systems engineering skills.
- Experience with Kubernetes and Docker.
TO APPLY TO THIS JOB POSTING, PLEASE APPLY THROUGH OUR JOBS PAGE AS WE WILL NOT BE MANAGING APPLICATIONS THROUGH BOOKFACE: https://jobs.lever.co/frontapp/c5b7f77a-0548-4266-a933-84a9555ade72?lever-origin=applied&lever-source%5B%5D=Y%20Combinator
Why you should join Front
Front is reinventing the inbox so people can accomplish more together. With new workflows, efficient collaboration, and all their communication channels in one place, more than 5,000 businesses rely on their Front inbox to be more productive as a team.
Founded in 2013, Front has raised $138 million from Sequoia, DFJ, and others to unlock new ways to work that make people more efficient, fulfilled, and ultimately happier at work. Front is headquartered in San Francisco with an office in Paris and Phoenix. To learn more, visit frontapp.com.