Software Engineer - Search at Front
About the role
Front powers the heart of business: the meaningful connections between teams and customers that lead to lasting relationships. Bringing email and apps together in a collaborative customer communication platform, Front drives business impact by scaling the natural conversations that create customers for life. More than 6,000 businesses are using Front today to cultivate personalized customer relationships at scale and transform their work into impact.
With $138M in funding, Front is backed by Sequoia Capital, and other leading venture capital firms, as well as independent investors including top executives of Atlassian, Okta, Qualtrics, and Zoom. Front was recently named to Wealthfront’s Career-Launching Companies in 2021 and Forbes Cloud 100 2020, the definitive list of the top software companies in the world. We have also been recognized on LinkedIn’s 2020 Top Startups, The New York Times’ The Next Wave of ‘Unicorn’ Start-Ups, Fortune’s Best Small Workplaces, and Glassdoor’s Best Places to Work.
At Front, our search stack powers intelligent features and algorithms that help surface the most relevant results to users all across the product, improving product navigation, usability and delightfulness. We’re looking for talented, self-motivated engineers with a background and interest in search to join Front's core search team based in Paris. With work on the team ranging from conversation search to contacts autocomplete and spans the Front web, desktop, and mobile apps, we've only begun to scratch the surface of what we hope to see evolve into a unique, universal search experience that underpins the customer communication hub of the future.
What will you be doing?
- Bring your search expertise to the team to transform our ideas into features, and improve the search experience for thousands of customers
- Have an impact on all the searchable resources at Front and beyond and become a solid contributor to the organization
- Improve our existing algorithms models to increase search accuracy
- Partner closely with research designer, engineers, and dedicated product manager
Some numbers (across 2 regions, the US and EU):
- In-house managed Elasticsearch clusters
- 120 TB of production data
- 650M of search queries served per day
- 465M of indexing queries processed per day
What skills and experience do you need?
- Product-minded: committed to building the best user experience.
- 2+ years of industry experience building highly available, large-scale distributed search systems at a large-scale internet service (example: Elasticsearch).
- Knowledgeable about modern web technologies and excited to learn new ones, e.g. Node.js ES6, TypeScript (Bonus: React if making a neat search UI to have an impact on the whole search experience)
- Ability to thrive in a dynamic, fast-paced, collaborative, and high-growth environment.
- Understand the trade-offs between different engineering solutions when solving a problem, value pragmatism over idealism.
- Rigor in A/B testing, test coverage, and other software development best practices
- Experience working with complex data models at scale
Why you should join Front
Front is reinventing the inbox so people can accomplish more together. With new workflows, efficient collaboration, and all their communication channels in one place, more than 5,000 businesses rely on their Front inbox to be more productive as a team.
Founded in 2013, Front has raised $138 million from Sequoia, DFJ, and others to unlock new ways to work that make people more efficient, fulfilled, and ultimately happier at work. Front is headquartered in San Francisco with an office in Paris and Phoenix. To learn more, visit frontapp.com.