Senior Backend Engineer at Front
About the role
Front powers the heart of business: the meaningful connections between teams and customers that lead to lasting relationships. Bringing email and apps together in a collaborative customer communication platform, Front drives business impact by scaling the natural conversations that create customers for life. More than 6,000 businesses are using Front today to cultivate personalized customer relationships at scale and transform their work into impact.
With $138M in funding, Front is backed by Sequoia Capital, and other leading venture capital firms, as well as independent investors including top executives of Atlassian, Okta, Qualtrics, and Zoom. Front was recently named to Wealthfront’s Career-Launching Companies in 2021 and Forbes Cloud 100 2020, the definitive list of the top software companies in the world. We have also been recognized on LinkedIn’s 2020 Top Startups, The New York Times’ The Next Wave of ‘Unicorn’ Start-Ups, Fortune’s Best Small Workplaces, and Glassdoor’s Best Places to Work.
We are looking for experienced backend engineers to join the team responsible for the core systems that power Front - a rules engine service that evaluates thousands of rules in milliseconds, a real-time inbox counter service that is fast and precise, and more. As you can imagine, this means a lot of responsibility and a tremendous amount of impact. The systems that you will work on need to be performant, scalable and reliable, all at once.
What will you be doing?
- Own key features or sub-systems of Front
- Collaborate closely with product managers, product designers and other engineers to conceptualize, build and test new product features: frontapp.com/roadmap
- Troubleshoot and resolve bugs and issues across the stack, e.g. a stuck job in a message queue, a bug in our recipient suggestions service
What skills and experience do you need?
- Product mindset – we’re a product company on a mission to"advance how people work”
- 5+ years of industry experience working on backend systems at a large-scale internet service
- 2+ years of working on software systems built atop Amazon Web Services
- Strong track record of launching and delivering projects of significant complexity and high level of ambiguity
- Experience architecting, deploying and operating asynchronous work queues, high-volume storage systems, and high-throughput systems
- Understand the trade-offs in employing different engineering solutions to a problem, valuing pragmatism over idealism
- Ability to thrive in a dynamic, fast-paced, collaborative, and high-growth environment
- Full professional English proficiency
- Experience working with a multi-data center setup
- Extensive experience in node.js, MySQL and memcached on AWS
Why you should join Front
Front is reinventing the inbox so people can accomplish more together. With new workflows, efficient collaboration, and all their communication channels in one place, more than 5,000 businesses rely on their Front inbox to be more productive as a team.
Founded in 2013, Front has raised $138 million from Sequoia, DFJ, and others to unlock new ways to work that make people more efficient, fulfilled, and ultimately happier at work. Front is headquartered in San Francisco with an office in Paris and Phoenix. To learn more, visit frontapp.com.