Engineering Manager at Gather
About the role
We are building a virtual universe which fundamentally improves how people interact online.
Today, that means a powerful remote-social platform. We already have people working out of our office spaces, attending our virtual conferences, or going to school on our campus spaces. We have folks hosting everything from magic conventions to artist EP launches to thanksgiving dinners, and even a few weddings.
The mission of Gather is to remove physical constraints on peoples' lives, and provide a virtual world which surpasses the real one in interconnectedness, personal touch, and expressiveness.
Gather’s Engineering team is quickly expanding to meet the needs of our growing user base, and we’re now at the point where we are looking for managers to lead our engineering pods. We’re looking for experienced engineering leaders who can lead, inspire, and grow the team as it makes the Gather experience beautiful, intuitive, and useful for as many people and use cases as possible. You will have a huge impact in defining our work process and priorities and creating the best possible environment for engineers to flourish and achieve team goals.
Our teams that are hiring:
The Core App team is responsible for everything you see when you’re in a Gather space. This includes: the rendering engine, the interaction mechanics, the menus and other UI bits, and a slim API service that manages the app’s interface with the database and other external services. It’s tasked with making the experience of using Gather intuitive, fun, and above all else, fundamentally worthwhile.
The Engine team is responsible for the backend services that enable creating and interacting with Gather's virtual worlds. This includes: a distributed system that turns user interactions into changes in world state and communicates this out to thousands of concurrent users, a (soon-to-be-public) API for implementing game mechanics on top of this system, prototypes of new classes of game mechanic to inspire the use of this API, and the overall systems design that enables it all. It's tasked with creating a scalable, reliable, and expressive engine upon which both internal and external teams can quickly build rich virtual worlds and experiences.
Where you’ll make an impact:
- Manage, mentor, and grow an extremely talented and energetic engineering team
- Help define our engineering culture and process broadly as our first management hire
- Work with our largest engineering team to develop the core user-facing experience of Gather
- Work closely with product and design in determining strategy and direction of your team
- Help define the development process of the team to create a constructive and efficient work environment
- Be part of a greater, fast-moving, and quickly-growing engineering organization.
What you bring:
- Experience scaling teams and processes in a high growth environment
- A strong belief in high engineer agency, responsibility, and accountability
- A compassionate but clear and focused approach to leadership
- A keen intuition for well designed software and and beautiful, usable interfaces
- Intrinsic motivation and the drive to solve difficult problems without guidance
- Ability to ruthlessly prioritize in a chaotic and ambiguous environment
- An open and growth mindset when giving and receiving feedback
- Work remotely out of a state-of-the-art virtual office!
- Competitive compensation, benefits, and meaningful equity
- Comprehensive medical, dental, and vision insurance for employees and their dependents
- 401k and matching program
- Generous PTO policy and mental health days to recharge
- Meal stipend twice a week to keep you nourished
- Remote work, education, and health & wellness stipends
- Support for family planning & gender-affirmation
- The opportunity to join a passionate team in building something that actually makes peoples' lives better, every single day
Gather is committed to building an inclusive and equitable workplace for individuals of all backgrounds. We strive to build a workplace where employees feel comfortable bringing their authentic selves to work, everyday. Qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, ethnicity, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender perception or identity, national origin, age, marital status, pregnancy or parental status, protected veteran status, disability status, or any other basis prohibited by law. Additionally, we're committed to providing access, equal opportunity and reasonable accommodation for individuals with disabilities in employment. If reasonable accommodation is needed to participate in the job application or interview process, to perform essential job functions, and/or to receive other benefits and privileges of employment, please notify the recruiter you are working with. We also ask that all applicants consider answering the voluntary demographic questions on our job application to help us track the inclusivity of our recruiting efforts and programs. Answering these questions is entirely voluntary and your answers will not be shared with the hiring team and will not impact the hiring decision.
Why you should join Gather
Gather is a video chat platform designed to make virtual interactions more human. Our mission is to create opportunity and connection for everyone, no matter where they are. We do this by building the Metaverse, a virtual layer over the physical world where people can work, socialize, and learn.
Since we launched in May of 2020, Gather has brought millions of people together. We have raised a total of $77 million in Series A and B from Sequoia Capital, Index Ventures, and more. We’re a small, friendly team based out of a state-of-the-art virtual office, where you can work whenever and wherever suits you. Come join us!