Machine Learning Engineer - Remote, Contract or Full Time at Generally Intelligent
About the role
As a remote software engineer, you’ll work very closely with a senior member of our research team on cutting-edge deep learning infrastructure and tooling towards the goal of creating general human-like machine intelligence. We're looking for someone who's super excited to build tools (ex: experiment tracking tools, model debugging methods, automated hyperparameter optimizers, developer tooling, etc).
If interested, apply here or on Work at a Startup!
- Implement a self-supervised network using contrastive and reconstruction losses.
- Create a library on top of PyTorch to enable efficient network architecture search.
- Open source internal tools.
- Implement networks from newly published papers.
- Work on tools for simple distributed parallel training of deep neural networks.
- Develop more realistic simulations for training our agents.
- Design automated methods and tools to prevent common issues with neural network training (e.g. overfitting, vanishing gradients, dead ReLUs, etc).
- Create visualizations to help us deeply understand what our networks learn and why.
- Very comfortable writing Python.
- Excited to work on open source code.
- Passionate about engineering best practices.
- Self-directed and independent.
- Excellent at getting things done.
- [Bonus] Familiar with PyTorch and training deep neural networks.
- Work directly on creating software with human-like intelligence
- Very generous compensation
- Flexible working hours
- Work remotely with a team that understands remote work
- Focus on coding and nothing else: no expectation that you attend standup, spend time doing sprint planning, etc.
- Work with other great programmers who care about their craft. e.g: we have deterministic formatting, zero linter errors, wide type coverage with MyPy, and even our deep learning code has tests.
We started Generally Intelligent because we believe that software with human-level intelligence will have a transformative impact on the world. We’re dedicated to ensuring that that impact is a positive one.
We have enough funding to last for decades, and our backers include Y Combinator, researchers from OpenAI, Threshold, and a number of private individuals who care about effective altruism and scientific research.
Our research is focused primarily on self-supervised and generative video and audio models. We’re excited about opportunities to use simulated data, network architecture search, and good theoretical understanding of deep learning to make progress on these problems. We take a focused, engineering-driven approach to research.
Why you should join Generally Intelligent
Generally Intelligent is an AI research company. We help machines learn to understand the world the way humans do. Our mission is to build human-like general machine intelligence and make it safely accessible in order to foster a more abundant, equitable, and creative human society.
We take a first-principles approach to understanding the fundamentals of learning, starting with simple self-supervised networks solving early evolutionary problems, and increasing complexity incrementally.