Lead Backend Engineer at Geosite
About the role
Who We Are
Geosite builds workflow software at the intersection of legacy GIS engineering tools and modern cloud collaboration platforms. Our main product is a SaaS platform that enables users to collaborate on the creation, fusion and dissemination of geospatial data to facilitate reconnaissance, planning and operations across a wide range of industries. Our customers include major energy companies, environmental organizations and the US Department of Defense. Led by PhDs, GIS experts, and veterans, we are Series A financed and backed by several major VCs including YCombinator.
What We Are Looking For
We are looking for a LEAD BACKEND ENGINEER who will take ownership of the Geosite backend code base and lead the backend engineering team. You will be taking over an established backend engineering team and working with our other engineering teams and data science team to enable a variety of geospatial capabilities. Proven leadership qualities are essential, as is expertise in one or more of the following:
- building enterprise-grade web APIs (REST and/or GraphQL)
- backend geospatial libraries (e.g. GDAL/OGR, Shapely, Geopandas, etc)
- functions as a service (e.g. AWS Lambda, OpenFaaS, Knative)
- deep Python expertise (e.g. contribution to well-known projects, wide breadth of library/framework knowledge, etc)
This position comes with equity! If you are driven, high-energy, and passionate about application development - we want you on our team!
Roles and Responsibilities
- Lead the backend engineering team to build features across the Geosite product line.
- Manage day to day operations of the backend engineering team.
- Work with the product team to formulate and document engineering requirements.
- Lead and manage individual projects and project teams as needed.
- Proactively initiate and lead engineering tasks as needed.
Experience and Qualifications
- Expertise in designing and building scalable microservice architectures for enterprise web applications
- Expertise in some or all of the following:
- Python web-related libs (e.g. FastAPI, SqlAlchemy, Alembic)
- Python geospatial libs (e.g. RasterIO, Shapely, Geopandas)
- Standard geospatial libs (e.g. GDAL, OGR, PDAL)
- Serverless/FaaS (e.g. Lambda, Knative, Argo)
- Experience leading engineering teams and applying agile methodology to software engineering projects
- US citizens located in the continental US ONLY
- Experience with container orchestration and devsecops best practices
- Experience with enterprise AuthN and AuthZ solutions
Comp and Benefits
- $150K - $180K + <= 0.42% equity
- Fully remote available
- Health, vision, dental, and life insurance
- Flexible work hours and paid time off