Senior Specialist, People Operations at Ginkgo Bioworks
About the role
Our mission is to make biology easier to engineer. Ginkgo is constructing, editing, and redesigning the living world in order to answer the globe’s growing challenges in health, energy, food, materials, and more. Our bioengineers make use of an in-house automated foundry for designing and building new organisms. We’re also building increased Foundry capacity to support our COVID-19 response efforts, which include the scale up of diagnostic testing services and engineering of organisms to aid in vaccine development, and more.
In the People Operations (PO) team, we propel this mission by helping to create the most effective team of GMO engineers the world has ever seen. Ginkgoneans are free to unleash their creative energies on engineering biology because we create a vibrant, supportive, and flexible environment where they can thrive. We are looking for a Senior Specialist to continue to advance our mission and support the growth of Ginkgo.
We are honored to be a trusted partner and resource for all of Ginkgo, and are working to build a strong, nimble and effective PO team. You are an analytical, resourceful, creative thinker who can help design, implement and administer our health & welfare programs and improve the employee experience. As the Senior Specialist for People Operations, you perform a key role in supporting the benefits, onboarding, HRIS and administrative functions of the department. This customer-oriented position requires a high level of organizational skills, confidentiality, and professionalism.
Please note: This position is expected to be onsite at our Seaport office to support the team for a minimum of 3 days per week, but may have flexibility for remote working arrangements for 2 days per week.
- Manage the administration and enrollment of all benefits, including medical, dental, vision, and life insurance.
- Provide information to employees and managers on all benefit-related questions; resolve all employee benefits issues/problems.
- Identify best practice workflows and streamline processes to increase efficiency across the People Operations function.
- Serve as the first point of resolution for People Operations-related employee requests and questions.
- Coordinate with appropriate departments to facilitate the onboarding process, including Finance, Facilities and IT; ensuring all paperwork and processes are completed in a timely manner.
- Conduct our People Operations Benefits orientation for new hires.
- Serve as a subject matter expert for various modules within our HRIS including benefits, onboarding, job changes, personal changes, etc.
- Participate in the implementation of our new HRIS system and other special projects.
- Maintain flawless and timely personnel records in our HRIS in compliance with applicable legal requirements. Ensure confidential files and records are current and accurate.
- Oversee the administration, organization, and coordination of performance review programs
- Provide broad support to a variety of department and company-wide events, celebrations, activities, etc.
- Serve as a guardian and champion for our People Operations team culture of innovation, excellence, inclusion, and fun.
Desired Experience and Capabilities
- You have a Bachelor's Degree in a relevant field, plus 2 years of experience with Benefits Administration and 5 years of overall relevant work experience.
- You have demonstrated experience in a People Operations Specialist role driving operational excellence.
- You have excellent interpersonal and customer service skills.
- You enjoy and have expertise in developing, executing, and maintaining new People Operations projects and programs to meet company needs.
- You are familiar with project management best practices, and eager to use them to expand the success of your initiatives.
- You have a strong working knowledge of HRIS systems (i.e, Workday, Oracle, Namely, etc.).
- You are a quick-learning, self-starter who is comfortable jumping into a new situation and making a difference.
- You pay rapt attention to detail and enjoy variety in your role.
- You are a strong communicator (in writing and speaking) and are able to effectively collaborate with a wide range of people.
- You are great at diagnosing problems, and using your critical thinking skills to devise innovative solutions.
- You are highly adaptable to changing priorities and can adeptly pivot to meet emerging needs in a fast-paced environment.
- You are able to apply the highest level of confidentiality regarding employee and candidate records.
- You have a strong passion and drive for Ginkgo’s mission.
Why you should join Ginkgo Bioworks
Ginkgo Bioworks is the organism company. We design custom organisms for customers across multiple markets. We build our foundries to scale the process of organism engineering using software and hardware automation. Organism engineers at Ginkgo learn from nature to develop new organisms that replace technology with biology.
Engineering biology isn't easy. It is frustratingly, painfully difficult. It's programming without a debugger, manufacturing without CAD, and construction without cranes. At Ginkgo we are building a team that can build debuggers, write CAD, and operate cranes. We are looking for the best engineers, scientists, and hackers.