Senior Data Analyst at Ginkgo Bioworks
About the role
Ginkgo is constructing, editing, and redesigning microorganisms to answer humanity's most pressing challenges in health, energy, food, materials, and more. Our mission is clear--to make biology easier to engineer--and it is the foundation of everything we do at Ginkgo. On the Data Team, our focus is the strategic application of data science and engineering across our business. We tackle diverse problems that span molecular biology, robotic automation, finance & business strategy, and operations, all in service of supporting data-driven decision-making. We do that through a combination of durable software tools, closely embedded analysts, and side-by-side collaboration with data engineering.
As a Data Analyst, you’ll join a highly collaborative team composed of data engineers, analysts, and data scientists with a wide range of backgrounds and experiences. You'll partner closely with scientific collaborators from across Ginkgo to develop analysis plans, build durable reports, on-board and train partners, and work with data scientists and engineers to design data-driven software tools. Ideal candidates are self-starters and strong technical contributors who can identify opportunities to solve problems with data. You are highly curious and eager to learn about both the science and the business, possess analytical skills to uncover rich insights from complex datasets, and excel at communicating your work to audiences with varying degrees of technical expertise.
Every day we face new technical and scientific challenges that require deep cross-functional collaboration and novel solutions. Success in this evolving field is only possible with teams that represent diverse people, ideas, backgrounds, experiences, and ways of working. Active inclusion is core to how Ginkgo wins. We’re an equal opportunity employer and encourage individuals from underrepresented backgrounds to apply.
Note: We have flexibility for candidates to work primarily from Boston headquarters or remotely (or a mix of both). Please discuss your preferences with our team.
- Experience analyzing complex data, drawing conclusions, and making actionable recommendations.
- Strong project management skills including managing complexity and making informed trade-offs to quickly escape rabbit holes and make on-time deliveries. Experience with Agile workflow practices and familiarity with Atlassian tools including Jira, and Confluence is a plus.
- Fluency and practical experience with statistical methods like exploratory data analysis, hypothesis testing, and regression techniques.
- Fluency and practical experience with data visualization techniques and best practices, and deep skill in at least one visualization tool.
- Deep skills in your analytical toolkit (Python or R) including familiarity with pandas, and advanced visualization libraries such as Altair, seaborn and matplotlib is preferred. Our teams are Python users in general.
- Extensive experience with SQL required. Experience working with JSON or unstructured data is a plus.
- Experience with the Amazon Web Services ecosystem is a plus.
- Experience working with biological data is a plus.
Communication and influence
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills are required.
- Aptitude for breaking down complex technical and quantitative topics for audiences with mixed levels of technical expertise. In particular, translating technical and scientific concepts into business outcomes and recommendations is essential for success in this role.
- Comfort and aptitude for regularly presenting work progress, insights, and recommendations to stakeholders and senior leadership.
- Willingness to work on a distributed team and adhere to common working hours across US time zones.
- Familiarity with communication strategies and tactics for distributed teams is a plus.
- Strong technical writer and documenter.
- Track record of storytelling with data, specifically supporting data-driven decisions with compelling visualizations using tools like Tableau, seaborn / Altair, and/or ggplot2 / shiny.
Why you should join Ginkgo Bioworks
Ginkgo Bioworks is the organism company. We design custom organisms for customers across multiple markets. We build our foundries to scale the process of organism engineering using software and hardware automation. Organism engineers at Ginkgo learn from nature to develop new organisms that replace technology with biology.
Engineering biology isn't easy. It is frustratingly, painfully difficult. It's programming without a debugger, manufacturing without CAD, and construction without cranes. At Ginkgo we are building a team that can build debuggers, write CAD, and operate cranes. We are looking for the best engineers, scientists, and hackers.