Senior Systems Administrator
About the role
Our mission is to make biology easier to engineer. Ginkgo is constructing, editing, and redesigning the living world in order to answer the globe’s growing challenges in health, energy, food, materials, and more. Our bioengineers make use of an in-house automated foundry for designing and building new organisms. Today, our foundry is developing over 50 different organisms to make different products across multiple industries.
We are looking for a Senior System Administrator to lead the support and implementation of new technologies. You will be responsible for the design, installation, configuration, and maintenance of the existing and future corporate infrastructure. Through your in-depth experience across various platforms, you bring an enthusiasm for creative thinking and solving technical challenges with your team, with a commitment to documentation that is written with stakeholders and users in mind. As Senior System Administrator, your role will be integral to supporting scientists, engineers, and developers by troubleshooting day-to-day problems, maintaining business applications, and ensuring a secure and highly available systems environment.
In-scope technologies for the Senior System Administrator include Linux, vSphere, NetApp, PostgreSQL and MySQL databases, server hardware, Rancher clusters for container orchestration, and others.
- Setup, configure, and perform day-to-day maintenance and administration of multiple Unix distributions deployments running on physical and virtual environments
- Manage corporate virtual environments across multiple locations including storage, configuration, licensing, monitoring, capacity & performance overview
- Implement and maintain NetApp storage array including installation and upgrade of ONTAP System Manager, network integration, and configuration of volumes and snapshots for performance
- Own the production server infrastructure, including upgrades, backups, performance tuning, fault resolution and capacity planning
- Manage Active Directory running a Unix environment including group policies and user accounts
- Support corporate system audits by maintaining accurate, comprehensive documentation and providing timely responses to requests
- Ensure maximum up time by addressing critical issues as they arise, and utilizing excellent troubleshooting, multi-tasking and analytical skills.
- Effectively manage time and priorities, delivering projects on schedule and communicating issues proactively
Desired Experience and Capabilities
- Bachelor’s degree in Computer Engineering, Computer Science, Information Systems or related technical field, preferred
- Extensive hands-on experience installing, configuring and administering multiple Linux distributions, particularly Ubuntu and Centos
- Strong working knowledge in architecting, building, managing and upgrading VMware vSphere (6.5+) environments
- Experience with VSAN and other common technologies used in a VMWare environment
- Strong scripting skills, especially Python and Bash
- Well-versed in fiber channel, iSCSI, NFS, CIFS, IP, zoning, and masking
- Adeptness with NetApp storage array administration and configuration management including ONTAP software installation and use, volume creation, migration, and performance tuning
- Experience with system security requirements and server hardening practice
- Working knowledge of Windows Server administration, Active directory, Certificate management and AWS
- Ability to thrive in fast-paced environments, and enthusiasm for the Ginkgo mission
Why you should join Ginkgo Bioworks
Ginkgo Bioworks is the organism company. We design custom organisms for customers across multiple markets. We build our foundries to scale the process of organism engineering using software and hardware automation. Organism engineers at Ginkgo learn from nature to develop new organisms that replace technology with biology.
Engineering biology isn't easy. It is frustratingly, painfully difficult. It's programming without a debugger, manufacturing without CAD, and construction without cranes. At Ginkgo we are building a team that can build debuggers, write CAD, and operate cranes. We are looking for the best engineers, scientists, and hackers.