About the role
Do you want to develop software that helps program biology? Join the Software Team at Ginkgo Bioworks and become a part of the next great technological revolution - constructing, editing, and redesigning the living world in order to answer the globe’s growing challenges in health, energy, food, materials, and more. This is your chance to not only develop algorithms and frameworks at the cutting edge of software technologies, but also work side-by-side with the brightest scientists, organism engineers, and more. You'll have the opportunity to contribute to the exciting frontiers of synthetic biology, including DNA design, genome sequencing, and automating experiments at scales previously unheard of.
At Ginkgo, our mission is to make biology easier to engineer. Our bioengineers make use of an in-house automated foundry for designing and building new organisms. Today, our foundry is developing over 40 different organisms to make different products across multiple industries. We're looking for Software Engineers who will design, develop, test, and deploy the software used by Ginkgo scientists to create these new organisms, conduct experiments, control lab robots, and analyze massive amounts of data. You'll collaborate with a team of talented and diverse engineers, product managers, experts in data analysis and bioinformatics, and, of course, your customers – the dozens of biologists and chemists at Ginkgo.
To learn more about Ginkgo's efforts to support the growing COVID-19 response, check out our blog: https://www.ginkgobioworks.com/blog/
- Design and implement software solutions that address current needs of Ginkgo bioengineers. These solutions could be a microservice, standalone tool, user-facing web application, data pipeline, etc.
- Collaborate with your tech lead and product manager to define key milestones and deliverables.
- Work as a member of an agile team, attending scrum meetings and reviewing code produced by your peers.
- Write automated tests for your solution and oversee its deployment.
- Monitor the production environment to detect and address customers' issues.
- Prototype new ideas, algorithms, and frameworks.
Desired Experience and Capabilities
- BS or MS in computer science
- Relevant internship or work experience
- Familiarity with biology a plus
- Eagerness to work hand-in-hand with Ginkgo's foundry team to architect the next generation of foundry for engineering organisms.
Why you should join Ginkgo Bioworks
Ginkgo Bioworks is the organism company. We design custom organisms for customers across multiple markets. We build our foundries to scale the process of organism engineering using software and hardware automation. Organism engineers at Ginkgo learn from nature to develop new organisms that replace technology with biology.
Engineering biology isn't easy. It is frustratingly, painfully difficult. It's programming without a debugger, manufacturing without CAD, and construction without cranes. At Ginkgo we are building a team that can build debuggers, write CAD, and operate cranes. We are looking for the best engineers, scientists, and hackers.