Product Manager at Ginkgo Bioworks
About the role
Ginkgo’s mission is to make biology easier to engineer. We design, build, and test organisms to address fundamental challenges the world is facing today. Ginkgo bioengineers use our foundry—a custom-built, centralized set of robotic lab equipment and software—to build new organisms for making natural products, pharmaceuticals, biofuels, and more. We're creating the code base, compiler and debugger for biology. We're looking for amazing software Product Managers to help us design and build the best bioinformatics and analysis tools that will define how bioengineers design organisms at scale.
In the role of Product Manager, you will contribute to Ginkgo’s strong set of internal software tools, automation, and processes that enable high-throughput genetic engineering across multiple species. You will advance these tools by adding to their capabilities and scaling their performance, while making them easier and more efficient to use. The ideal Product Manager has a passion for synthetic biology and scientific software, a strong understanding of its challenges, and a proven track record for delivering incredible software.
- Oversee a functional area and act as the product owner for 1-2 scrum teams.
- Develop strategy for product planning, including short-term release plans and long-term road maps for your functional area
- Stay on top of new computational and software capabilities being developed in the industry and understand how these new technologies may be applied to your functional area
- Define and track key performance metrics and other measurable success criteria
- Collect and synthesize user feedback to identify product gaps and define requirements to meet the gaps
- Work with stakeholders and developers to understand the implications of solution ideas
- Collaboratively develop the best solutions that can be delivered in a time and cost sensitive manner
- Build, groom and prioritize the backlog for your functional area
- Align development teams and stakeholders around the solutions you develop by advocating for them, ensuring their quality, and maintaining user engagement
- Ensure sufficient documentation for developed solutions
Desired Experience and Capabilities
- One of the following: (1) B.S. or higher degree in biological engineering, synthetic biology, or a related field, or (2) B.S. or higher degree in computer science or a related field and industry experience with biology, biological engineering, synthetic biology, or a related field
- 4+ years of product management experience and proven track record delivering incredible software
- Demonstrated ability to break down complex problems into actionable steps
- Experience leading or supporting user research
- Experience in an Agile development environment
- Excited to work with the best scientists and engineers to develop new software tools to solve never-before-seen scientific challenges
- Ability to work on-site in our office in Boston’s exciting Seaport district
To learn more about Ginkgo, check out some recent press:
We also feel that it’s important to point out the obvious here – there’s a serious lack of diversity in our industry, and that needs to change. Our goal is to help drive that change. Ginkgo is deeply committed to diversity, equity, and inclusion in all of its practices, especially when it comes to growing our team. Our culture promotes inclusion and embraces how rewarding it is to work with people from all walks of life.
We’re developing a powerful biological engineering platform, so we must remain mindful of the many ways our technology can – and will – impact people around the world. We care about how our platform is used, and having a diverse team to build it gives us the best chance that it’s something we’ll be proud of as it continues to grow. Therefore, it’s critical that we incorporate the diverse voices and visions of all those who play a role in the future of biology.
It is the policy of Ginkgo Bioworks to provide equal employment opportunities to all employees and employment applicants.
Why you should join Ginkgo Bioworks
Ginkgo Bioworks is the organism company. We design custom organisms for customers across multiple markets. We build our foundries to scale the process of organism engineering using software and hardware automation. Organism engineers at Ginkgo learn from nature to develop new organisms that replace technology with biology.
Engineering biology isn't easy. It is frustratingly, painfully difficult. It's programming without a debugger, manufacturing without CAD, and construction without cranes. At Ginkgo we are building a team that can build debuggers, write CAD, and operate cranes. We are looking for the best engineers, scientists, and hackers.