Mechanical Product Design Engineer at Gridware
About the role
Gridware’s mission is to create a future where suburban wildfires are a thing of the past. We provide a truly full-stack (hardware + firmware + software) solution for real-time monitoring of America's power distribution grid. The system centers around low-cost hardware platforms that are easily and permanently deployed to power poles. The platform detects and predicts faults that ignite wildfires, expedites repairs during power outages, and helps utilities demonstrate risk reduction to regulators through comprehensive asset health profiles.
Gridware’s technology is designed to unlock essential values for other adjacent verticals. Our unique positioning allows us to solve some of the world’s most burning challenges -- from helping policy makers make data-driven infrastructure decisions to helping farmers overcome micro-climate challenges. While others turn a blind eye to these aged and highly-regulated industries, we at Gridware believe it’s our duty to find win-for-all scenarios that lead to a prosperous future for coming generations.
Gridware is a privately-held company with funding from major investors such as Y Combinator, True Ventures, and Fifty Years, as well as the California Energy Commission. Spun out of the Citris Foundry at UC Berkeley, we now operate in Walnut Creek, California.
We’re looking for a Mechanical Product Design Engineer to join our growing team.
Roles & Responsibilities
- Translate product and hardware requirements into robust mechanical designs that elegantly integrate electrical subsystems
- Spearhead decisions around selection and procurement of mechanical components
- Define and execute on manufacturing processes for assembly, integration, and quality control
- Thrive in a tightly-integrated, lightning-paced team of high-energy and deeply committed individuals.
- Strong fundamentals in product design, CAD (Solidworks/Fusion360), and DFM/DFA
- Experience in design and manufacturing of plastic and metal parts
- Demonstrated ability to design for integration of electrical subsystems (batteries, camera, PCBs, wiring harnesses, etc.)
- Bonus: Experience with designing for long-term outdoor use (e.g., weather sealing, UV-resistance, insulating equipment, etc.)
- Bonus: Experience with environmental testing of assemblies (e.g., TVAC, vibration testing, field testing, etc.)
Our employees enjoy working in a mission-driven environment to save lives and create a future without wildfires. Beyond that, we offer competitive benefits that help them to thrive and grow. These benefits include:
- An attractive salary with bonus plan
- Health insurance plan
- Flexible working hours
- Stock option plan
Gridware is an equal opportunity employer. We want applicants of diverse backgrounds and hire without regard to color, gender, religion, national origin, citizenship, disability, age, sexual orientation, or any other characteristic protected by law.